Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm coming off the exit ramp this afternoon, and to match freeway speeds so I can merge - I gave the car about half throttle and the damn thing just takes off like a bat outta hell and I almost lose control of the car's rear end and had to let off the gas quick. It's been like that since I put in the aluminum drive shaft and Streetfighter torque converter.
What can I do next to get the car to just take off without the wheelspin and possibly crashing on the freeway?

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
This is a tires issue, but a good set of aftermarket LCA's are always a good upgrade :yes

You are running some serious HP/T numbers, what tires do you run now?
Can you afford to get a second set of wheels/tires for Summer use?

Jazzer :)

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
LCA's, Tires

·
IBEATU
5,919 Posts
Get some LCA relocation brackets along with LCA's and sticky tires. You should hook better from a roll after that. I have the above and when its cold out mine still breaks loose from a roll but its very contolable.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
What stall do you have on your streetfighter? It should be locked up at those speeds anyways. My suggestion is driver mod and tires. Learn how to be smooth. Seriously, this comes from many years of road racing high HP cars. Don't be so violent with the pedal from idle to half throttle. Don't baby it either but spend some time deperessing the pedal instead of jabbing your foot at it. Trust me, that split second longer it takes for you to reach that half throttle position will be made up by a smoother exit out of the turn.

·
All sissies going to Hell!
5,818 Posts
LCA's, ADJ UCA, ADJ panhard rod, hd panhard rod brace, and relocation brackets. That is everything suspension wise. And some nitto DR's for the street and MT street et's will help you at the track.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What brand of LCA and relocation bracket do you recommend? I'm looking at the Steeda LCA's on Brenspeeds website. They also have the relocation brackets but it states that these are weld in only. How do I know where to relocate the LCA's to get the right geometry? Will a shop necessarily know what to do with the relocation brackets? Also are lower trailing arms the same as lower control arms

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Removing flex from the stock control arms may help somewhat but I'm not sure relocating brackets are in order for what you want. If you are lowered and you need them to correct your suspension geometry then by all means get them. But in your situation, mounting those too low, though great for the strip and straight line acceleration, may induce snap oversteer which would compound your issue. Careful in which direction you go in. Many people will suggest relocation brackets but I don't think they are necessarily thinking about the application. The only lime you will see relocation brackets on a road race car is if they are there to only correct the suspension geometry, not change it. Tires and throttle control are the best bet for fixing your handling coming out of the corner.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Upper/lower LCA's, panhard bar, larger, stickier tires, skinnies up front + drag shocks. Relocate battery to trunk.

Roll cage, tie the frame together.

·
Golf Pencil Kawk Juggler
2,421 Posts
Upper/lower LCA's, panhard bar, larger, stickier tires, skinnies up front + drag shocks. Relocate battery to trunk.

Roll cage, tie the frame together.
lol?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Removing flex from the stock control arms may help somewhat but I'm not sure relocating brackets are in order for what you want. If you are lowered and you need them to correct your suspension geometry then by all means get them. But in your situation, mounting those too low, though great for the strip and straight line acceleration, may induce snap oversteer which would compound your issue. Careful in which direction you go in. Many people will suggest relocation brackets but I don't think they are necessarily thinking about the application. The only lime you will see relocation brackets on a road race car is if they are there to only correct the suspension geometry, not change it. Tires and throttle control are the best bet for fixing your handling coming out of the corner.
I am lowered with the ford racing handling pack which takes the car down approximately 1.5 inch. In answer to your earlier question, the stall on the TCI streetfighter is 3000rpm.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I am lowered with the ford racing handling pack which takes the car down approximately 1.5 inch. In answer to your earlier question, the stall on the TCI streetfighter is 3000rpm.
With you being lowered you should relocate the lower control arms so they are at least level with the ground. A slight downward angle from front to rear is desirable.

You should really check out at what speed your TC is locking up. With a high stall, when you jump on the gas, unless you are locked up, the engine speed will climb rapidly and hit at 3000 RPM. If you don't hit it that hard the TC will have a chance to start putting power to the wheels before 3000 RPM and not hit as hard (losing traction). That was what I was talking about when I said you should depress the gas pedal with a more gradual move than a straight jab at it. The TC will make driving your car a bit different and you have to adjust to it.

·
All sissies going to Hell!
5,818 Posts
What brand of LCA and relocation bracket do you recommend? I'm looking at the Steeda LCA's on Brenspeeds website. They also have the relocation brackets but it states that these are weld in only. How do I know where to relocate the LCA's to get the right geometry? Will a shop necessarily know what to do with the relocation brackets? Also are lower trailing arms the same as lower control arms
I would get all steeda, plus the steeda parts will work well with the ford racing stuff you already have.

·
Genibus Nitito Canus
2,947 Posts
so ur saying road racers shouldnt use relocated brackets?

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
so ur saying road racers shouldnt use relocated brackets?
Well a road race setup and a strip setup are two different animals. At stock ride height, no you don't need to use relocation brackets for road racing. If you are lowered you may need them to get your suspension geometry back in line. But if you put the LCA's at and extreme angle this will help you hook in a straight line. I have ProKit springs and BMR reloc. brackets and my LCA's have quite a bit of angle to them, but with this set up the rear end will get squirrely in a hurry when coming off of the apex. More so than it used too. In other words, are far as suspension goes, you have to give a little to get a little. When you set up for the strip you give up a little in cornering and vice versa.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts