Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to upgrade my sound system this summer and this is what I have planned.

To replace the front and rear door speakers
Rockford Fosgate Punch P1572 5"x7" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

Going to add this for a little thump
https://www.supercrewsound.com/commerce/product.jsp?prodId=320

And this amp to power it all
Rockford Fosgate Prime R600-5 5-channel car amplifier — 50 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms + 300 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com

I am also going to probably put in some sound dampening material probably Dynamat unless there is something better out there that you guys can turn me on to. Not real sure where I need to put this and how much of it I need, I just know it is $$$$.

Any thoughts on this setup does this sound like it will provide a nice quality sound? Not looking for competition quality just something I can crank up and really hear when the top is down. If there is something else that I should look at as an option I am all ears and I am not loyal at all to any certain brand. Also I am planning on leaving the stock head unit because I want to keep the OEM look. Will that cause me any problems or will I need to upgrade my head unit as well?

Thanks in advance
Charlie

·
Registered
889 Posts
Charlie,

first and for most, really cool that you are thinking about upgrading the sound, I have already done the sound changing 3 different times in our cars haha... so I know a few tricks with them already. Where in FL do you live? I'm down here in Boca Raton.

I checked out the Rockford Fosgate Punch speakers you threw up there, and remember, those are 2 way speakers, pretty much Midrange speakers. They will be fine for you, but you wont be getting the highs like you may expect. I would only go with 2 way speakers in the front if you arent planning on putting in some Tweeters anywhere. If that is the case, I would go with a 3 or 4 way speaker (one or two tweeters added to the 2 way), and then just a simple 2 way speaker in the back for the "filler sound".

What I'm running in the back of my car and absolutely love, and kicks really well, are some Soundstorm F257

You may see the price and think, that probably sucks, but for the back they are banging and have 100W RMS on them each.

And for the fronts, let me know if you want any recommendations but you really don't need to spend more than like $90 to $100 on front 3 or 4 way speakers. As Far as the Amp goes, are you going to be running these at 2 Ohm or 4 Ohms?

If you are not going to power the internal speakers with an AMP, then 5 channel AMP is extreme over kill. IF you are only running one sub, then a 1 channel is perfectly fine, but if you are looking to upgrade in the future, at least look into a 2 or 4 channel Amp. I can help ya if you like any suggestions.

Well there are a few things cheaper than Dynamat that will do the trick, I use something called Fatmat.

Now, about the Headunit, I believe if you want to keep your your factory Headunit, you will need a line in converter so you can feed the subs from back into the OEM Headunit (is it a SHAKER 500 or Base?). Either way, Changing your headunit will make the biggest difference with the sound, so honestly, if you are doing all this stuff already, then go with an aftermarket one.

If you are interested at all, since I upgraded my 3rd time around on my car, and bought some stuff for a friend's mustang who ended up selling the car before I can install anything, I have a few parts laying around if you are interested at all to save you some money. Pretty much got those Soundstorm 257's BRAND NEW in box, a 4 way speaker set that was actually used in the rears from Pioneer that never was pushed very hard considering I also balanced the sound staging to come out of the fronts, and I have a very nice single DIN headunit from Pioneer... Pioneer Premier DEH-p590ib with iPod Cable .

IF you have any more questions, or are interested in a good deal for some quality stuff, and if you live close, def hit me up. Take it easy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts