Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals about to change the spark plugs in my 1998 mustang gt. i checked my repair manual and the chiltons skips right over it, it looks like the fuel rails will get in the way. do i have to take them off? also i'm scared, are these the motors that sometimes strip the heads when you take out the plugs? what should they be torqued at when putting them back in? will i be able to get my fingers in to hand tight or how should i tightern then them so i dont cross thread them? gimme a step by step procedure please.
thanks all

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
1.Hey guys and gals about to change the spark plugs in my 1998 mustang gt.

Cool. It's not that hard.

2. i checked my repair manual and the chiltons skips right over it, it looks like the fuel rails will get in the way. do i have to take them off?

No need to mess with the fuel rail.

3. also i'm scared, are these the motors that sometimes strip the heads when you take out the plugs?

Yes sometimes.

4. what should they be torqued at when putting them back in?

Snug, I usually go a 1/4 past light socket tight.

5. will i be able to get my fingers in to hand tight or how should i tightern then them so i dont cross thread them? gimme a step by step procedure please.

No, you use the socket to "hand" tighten them. Just turn them left while pressing down a little bit until you feel the plug seat. then turn right until tightened.

I am sure there is a write up he in the forums stickies somewhere..

·
Registered
69 Posts
Why change plugs? I got 225,000 before I changed 'em in my dd lincoln. Only reaon i did was the coil overs went bad. lol

·
Registered
212 Posts
trust me i have done em, its not too bad except the passenger side rear plug is a lil bitchy to get out, if you can buy a spark plug socket with the rubber on the inside that would help a lot. That will help ya pull the plugs easier... Should take you under an hour maybe 2 if it's your first time...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok thanks for all the imput. going to do this, this weekend.

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
Why change plugs? I got 225,000 before I changed 'em in my dd lincoln. Only reaon i did was the coil overs went bad. lol
Really???

Your suspension components ( coil overs ) went bad and you changed your plugs???

And your further recommending someone go 225k miles without changing them?

WOW!!!!!!

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
STARIN,

You may need to use a universal socket to get some of the back ones out. The fuel rail does get in the way but you can still get to the plugs without removing it, just use a series of extensions and a universal socket to get them out. "snug" is all the tighter you need to get them. Just remember to only remove the plug wire for the plug you are changing and make sure to put it back on when you finish the plug and you will not get them mixed up.

There should be a little rubber piece inside your spark plug socket . This "holds" the plug inside the socket once you back it out of the head. It makes it alot easier to get the plug out. I usually take it out when i put the plugs back in, otherwise it can come off on the plug and be a real bitch to get back off when your ready to put the wire back on.

It's real easy to do, just keep your patience and think it through. Develop a patern while you work and that should help you to not forget anything.

·
Registered
212 Posts
^ thinks he knows what hes talking about...:nuts lol jk +1 on the swivel extension idea

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok thanks again for all the replys

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
Really???

Your suspension components ( coil overs ) went bad and you changed your plugs???

And your further recommending someone go 225k miles without changing them?

WOW!!!!!!
LOL I believe he was referring to his coil packs. I do agree that ANY car (maybe even diesels :D ) should be changed WAY before 225k though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm about to change my spark plugs too this weekend. But the rear passenger side plug will be no problem since it already left the engine. hahaha. My dad ordered one of those new timesert kits, for the ford Triton blocks. Hope all goes well with this new piece.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I changed my plugs on my 98 GT, I had a problem with a bracket on the rear passenger side plug. I removed the bracket and did not put it back because it appeared to have no function. Anyone else run into this?

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
When I changed my plugs on my 98 GT, I had a problem with a bracket on the rear passenger side plug. I removed the bracket and did not put it back because it appeared to have no function. Anyone else run into this?

Your saying there was a bracket attached to the plug itself? I don't quite understand what your refering to.

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
LOL I believe he was referring to his coil packs. I do agree that ANY car (maybe even diesels :D ) should be changed WAY before 225k though.

Yeah, I figured as much. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to rib him about it.

BTW diesel engines don't use spark plugs, they use glow plugs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The bracket I am refering to is above the plug, just below the heater hoses. It blocked the socket from going down to get the plug. It bolts to the backside of the intake next to the automatic transmission filler tube and the top of the intake.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts