Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i just got a '96 Mustang GT 4.6L SOHC. So far this is where i stand from where i bought it...

Flowmaster pipes, BBK cold air, Steeda Tri-Ax short throw shifter

Debating: Steeda Underdrive pulleys, BBK shorty o/r h-pipe, BBK long tubes, and a tuner...

I've also read up a little bit on the PI swap later down the road. Right now, i'm just looking for info and ideas.. some help in which direction i should go first and info on how to do it. tools needed? prices? tips? links to sites with kits and parts...

Anything you have, hit me!

Matt

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
go with the pi swap first or else your gunna kick yourself. the long tube headers are a bitch and bolt up to the heads soooo if you get the pi swap done later your gunna end up doing long tube headers twice.

·
Registered
212 Posts
+1 on PI swap!! If you do go that way, i have a PI intake with throttle body and plenum if your interested. Just send me a PM and i will get you a price and some pics. If i had my GT engine longer i would have done the heads too but i blew it up so i didnt get to do it. It will definately give you more HP doing the swap. I also have underdrive pulleys too if you want to do that as well...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
know any good kits for the swap? i dont want to go and get everything i THINK i need and then be sitting there waiting on a part i missed... know of any suggested tuners?

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
UDPs are basically a waste... all the gain is at the top end, and even there it's maybe 5hp.

+1 on the PI swap. If you're tight on money, my understanding is that 70% or more of the gains can be had by just doing the cams and intake.

Gears will also give you a huge seat-of-the-pants upgrade in terms of feel. There's about 900 million threads on gears, though, so just hit up the search function if you're not sure what to get.

·
Registered
212 Posts
no there isn't really that much you need. I think all you really need are some gaskets and the heads and intake, some silicon(maybe) and some time to do it. As far as tuners go i think diablo sport are a good one American Muscle has a decent selection and if you go to the vendors section of this site you can get a discount code...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so you think i should just go ahead and go with the PI? know of any good kits for a swap? and how much am i looking at? also, what kind of gains will i be looking at? so many questions man...

·
Registered
212 Posts
well in my opinion i would do the swap. If your going to do it yourself it will obviously be cheaper but you should be pretty knowledgable of mechanix. I don't know of any kits, but like i said i do have the intake and i can sell it to ya cheap. You can look on ebay for the heads and then get the gaskets from Ford. As far as prices go i would say if you do the install yourself you should spend no more than $500 and if you have somebody do it prob $300(just a guess though) You should gain 40-50 without tune, maybe 50-60 with tune and if you upgrade the cams your lookin at a whole lot more than that...

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
so you think i should just go ahead and go with the PI? know of any good kits for a swap? and how much am i looking at? also, what kind of gains will i be looking at? so many questions man...
All of those answers should be able to be found via a good search. There's a lot of threads on PI swaps, too :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey i was just doing some more searching online and noticed that on AmericanMuscle, they stated that with the SOHCams for my GT 3.55 or steeper gears are required... would they be necessary for just the head and intake swap?

·
FucusRuckus
1,670 Posts
well stock vs stock the pi motors are at 260, if i remember correctly, and the npi are 215, so for the money i think its great, when i do mine, im thinking of gettin the stage 2 comp cam, and prolly an aftermarket intake on the stock pi heads p/p

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.