Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to install a set of 4.10 gears into my Black Stallion.
(2003 V6 Mustang)
I'm aware that I need to get a Tuner.
What else do I need to get, and what all would you recommend to get the most out of this for the best price? (brands, parts, & prices)

·
I smell like beef
5,580 Posts
Prolly won't hurt to get the install kit and a good gear oil. I'd go with whatever brand of gears your installer prefers.

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
You need a tlok so you won't do 1 wheel peels

03cristian

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, here is my To Get list: (So far)
Correct me if I need anything else.
1. FR 4.10 Gears
2.Rear End Installation and Bearing Kit.
3. Royal Purple Max Gear Oil
4. Traction Lok rebuild kit.
5. Tuner or FR Speedometer correction kit.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
So, here is my To Get list: (So far)
Correct me if I need anything else.
1. FR 4.10 Gears
2.Rear End Installation and Bearing Kit.
3. Royal Purple Max Gear Oil
4. Traction Lok rebuild kit.
5. Tuner or FR Speedometer correction kit.
On #4, you don't need a tlok rebuild kit if you don't already have a tlok installed. Stock V6s have open differentials, not tloks. I recommend just buying a Ranger tlok (7.5") and a bearing/rebuild kit from AM.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On #4, you don't need a tlok rebuild kit if you don't already have a tlok installed. Stock V6s have open differentials, not tloks. I recommend just buying a Ranger tlok (7.5") and a bearing/rebuild kit from AM.
Would a slip differential do the job?

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
do you have an auto or 5 speed

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Thank you, sir!
So, aside from that am I in the clear?
You'll also need some friction modifier (just put it in with the gear oil)

Would a slip differential do the job?
I've honestly never heard of a "slip differential" nor could I find anything about it on Google. If you found one for sale somewhere, I'm going to have to assume they left out the "limited" part :dunno

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You'll also need some friction modifier (just put it in with the gear oil)

I've honestly never heard of a "slip differential" nor could I find anything about it on Google. If you found one for sale somewhere, I'm going to have to assume they left out the "limited" part :dunno
Here is one for example, maybe this will help answer my question because i'm not quite sure either.
I think they work as well though.
Ford Racing FR500S Differential - 31 Spline 8.8in (86-13 V8; 11-13 V6) M-4204-T31H - Free Shipping!

I'll take any advice anyone can give.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Here is one for example, maybe this will help answer my question because i'm not quite sure either.
I think they work as well though.
Ford Racing FR500S Differential - 31 Spline 8.8in (86-13 V8; 11-13 V6) M-4204-T31H - Free Shipping!

I'll take any advice anyone can give.
That's a Torsen T2-R for an 8.8". Nice diff for autocross or road racing, not what you want if you're launching the car like you do drag racing. Also, not the right size for your car (you need a 7.5"), nor the right spline count; you need a 28-spline unit unless you're also upgrading to 31 spline axles.

I didn't see a 7.5" t-lok at either AM or LMR, but AM does sell an Auburn posi: Auburn HP Series 7.5in 28 Spline Mustang Limited Slip Differential 542023 - Free Shipping!. Considering that's a $500 unit, though, it might be worth your time to just swap in an 8.8 from a GT, which will already have a t-lok in it.

·
Watch n learn
876 Posts
^Agreed, swap in an 8.8 and be done. If you decide to do the gear instead and are using Royal Purple, I'm pretty sure you don't need friction modifier with that oil.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Royal Purple, I'm pretty sure you don't need friction modifier with that oil.
Double-check when you buy it. I know Red Line sells one line of gear oil that has friction modifier in it, I'd be shocked if RP didn't do the same.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
and for anyone who didnt know ford no longer makes the 7.5 tlok to sell as the ford racing unit, so you will either have to find someone selling one they never used or pull one from a ranger or such

even more reason to go 8.8 now

·
MOAR BOOST
9,163 Posts
Double-check when you buy it. I know Red Line sells one line of gear oil that has friction modifier in it, I'd be shocked if RP didn't do the same.
the royal purple stuff has friction modifier in it already.
But holy hell is it expensive. Like $22 a bottle or something like that

·
Fee Fie Foe Fum
1,724 Posts
Yeap..3qrts of rp, and I added FM anyways bout $70 bucks... Anyways..i bought an 8.8 out of an 04 mach 1 for a $100 bucks w a broken pass side axle.. Just have to be resourceful.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts