Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally got the car started, it was the fricken neutral safety switch.. anyways i am replacing my stock crap alternator with a 1 wire 3g 150amp alternator, its supposedly the same size and all. Okay, so i removed the top alternator screw, and im getting the bottom out, but what else? how do i get rid of the tension of the alternator pulley? is it a bitch or should i attemp to continue?

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
What do you mean the tension of the pulley? Do you mean the tension of the belt? If so then you have to put and hold pressure on the tensioner to get the belt off. Other than that i dont know what you mean....

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Because its a small wheel that the back of the belt rides on to keep tension on the belt. Its not a pulley and does not have grooves on it. It is about 3 inches in diameter and it will be shinny where the belt rides. In the center of that wheel there is a place where you can put a wrench or something on it. Oh by the way you should not take the bolts out of the alternator b4 you remove the belt.. It also seem to me that after you get the car running again you should drive directly to your local Barnes & Noble and get yourself a Chiltons manual for your Mustang. Its a good thing to have..

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay ill get that manual, i located the tensionor.. what do i do? i tried to loosen it it wouldn't work do i need to try harder? do i ... what lol

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
okay ill get that manual, i located the tensionor.. what do i do? i tried to loosen it it wouldn't work do i need to try harder? do i ... what lol
It does not come apart it is spring loaded. You have to push it or pull it I dont remember which way but just look and see what direction it has to go in to take tension off the belt. While you are holding it then you remove the belt then let it slowly release. Take your time its not that hard man..

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that was too easy.. anyways so my new alternator doesn't have a metal fan thing nehind the pulley whats the delio?

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
that was too easy.. anyways so my new alternator doesn't have a metal fan thing nehind the pulley whats the delio?
The cooling fan is inside..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts