Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm on the fence about buying an aluminum shortblock to swap in my 99 cobra. Will it be direct swap or is there anything extra Id have to buy because its aluminum?

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Depending upon which block you have now you may have minor issues with timing cover bolts and misc. timing guide/tensioner differences. Nothing major, just diff bolt sizes and guide/tensioner mounting.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Terminator is cast block. No different then a GT block

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess my question is, are there any changes on the 03-04 block that would entail me having to buy anything extra or is it a direct swap?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Maybe OP is referring to teksid or aluminator block?

If so the only problem ive had with aluminum blocks is ordering the right main bearings and main studs, and side bolts can be a little tricky as well.

If your getting a Terminator block with internals then id say pick it up, its iron but has some sweet internals,cobra crank, manley rods, and mahle pistons? if im not mistaken? (someone will chime in)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
outstanding,that pretty much answers my question. It is all aftermarket. I forgot what block but diamond pistons manley rods and kellog crank.. Im getting it for almost as much as a used terminator shortblock. The shop go to will know whats up,but I was just trying to forecast a little. I appreciate your help fellas!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
outstanding,that pretty much answers my question. It is all aftermarket. I forgot what block but diamond pistons manley rods and kellog crank.. Im getting it for almost as much as a used terminator shortblock. The shop go to will know whats up,but I was just trying to forecast a little. I appreciate your help fellas!
Well if its not a terminator (03-04) im assuming somebody just bought an aluminum block and built it.

Pics would help, u can usually tell if a block is iron (general rule of thumb) by black/rust color in valley/exterior, and aluminum by greyish/aluminum color lol. You can diffrentiate between the aluminum blocks (teksid, WAP,and aluminator) by the webbing in the valley. Now ofcoarse any block can be painted but examining the webbing will help alot more.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Well if its not a terminator (03-04) im assuming somebody just bought an aluminum block and built it.

Pics would help, u can usually tell if a block is iron (general rule of thumb) by black/rust color in valley/exterior, and aluminum by greyish/aluminum color lol. You can diffrentiate between the aluminum blocks (teksid, WAP,and aluminator) by the webbing in the valley. Now ofcoarse any block can be painted but examining the webbing will help alot more.
You can also do a quick check with a magnet. Iron block is magnetic, aluminum is not.

You can also differentiate by the jackscrew/dowel configuration on the side of the block.

It's hard to say exactly what it is. Diamond pistons were not factory, but pistons would be the first thing to upgrade on a termi rotating assembly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
$2500, its from a buddy of mine. I know for sure it's aluminum. By terminator I mean't 03-04. I was wrong by saying that I know. Im tracking they're cast iron. I apprecaite the help men.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts