Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i noticed last night my 02 mustang was puffing out quite a bit of white smoke. first thought is head gasket or cracked head but i just changed my oil after a little over 3k miles and there is no white or milky look to it at all its just black. the fumes just smell rich its definatly not oil burning and doesnt smell like antifreeze. it doesnt overheat, the smoking isnt as bad today but it has nothing to do with the outside temp because my brother was here with his mustang and it wasnt smoking anywhere near mine. lastly it blows out A LOT of water when i rev it. i need help please!!!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
i noticed last night my 02 mustang was puffing out quite a bit of white smoke. first thought is head gasket or cracked head but i just changed my oil after a little over 3k miles and there is no white or milky look to it at all its just black. the fumes just smell rich its definatly not oil burning and doesnt smell like antifreeze. it doesnt overheat, the smoking isnt as bad today but it has nothing to do with the outside temp because my brother was here with his mustang and it wasnt smoking anywhere near mine. lastly it blows out A LOT of water when i rev it. i need help please!!!
Are you sure it's smoke or is it steam?

If it's blowing water out of your exhaust then you have a lot of moisture in there. It's going to come out as steam when it gets hot until it's all gone.

Coolant level still normal?

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Sounds like condensation. Once your exhaust is completely hot it should go away.

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
Welcome and maybe it is just steam, condensation on warm up. We love our cars and sometimes something like that is noticed we get worked up. I could be just nothing.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys. its hard to tell i think its smoke but last night when i noticed it i was reving it up to try to clear it out and i literally had 10 feet of water on the ground behind my tail pipes. it makes me think its not a head gasket because the oil i drained out has been in there for over 3k miles and no signs of antifreeze in it. but on the other hand i dont know what else could cause it to smoke like that. i dont know if any of this matters but i just put 10w-30 mobil one in it then i just noticed it calls for 5w-20 but i doubt that would affext it. also i have a c&l upper intake, off road h pipe with flowmaster cat back. it doesnt smoke at all for the first minute after start up. . thanks for any help guys.

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
btw mine does that when i first start it up and rev some-- mines a piece of **** though.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just went out and started it . for the first minute or two no smoke then it starts smoking form the right tail pipe then both smoke.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Mine steams out a LOT, so much I leave puddles whenever I idle. Extra piping from turbo makes for great condensation spots. Gets worst on E85.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im in ny. the temp has been higher lately but it was night and kinda cool when it was smoking more but i didnt think that had anything to do with it because my brother mustang was here at the same time and my moms blazer and neither was smoking but my car was. now its just a tiny bit.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I should point out that it is not uncommon at all for a head gasket to fail in such a manner so as to let water into the combustion chamber but not to let it into the oil, or combustion gasses into the water supply.you may want to keep an eye on your coolant level just in case.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah i definatly am going to keep an eye on it. would the exhaust fumes smell sweet though? ive had three people look at it and they all said it just smelled a little rich.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Rich can be confused with blowby. If you have a failing gasket it will puff a bit sometimes and smell sweet/cotton candy-like, usually after WOT.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would think so, but maybe not.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
but wouldnt my oil show signs after 4k miles?
That depends upon where the head gasket is cracked. I had no smoke at all on a motor and the antifreeze got in the oil and ate out the bearings. Do you have other problems? I still think it could be condensation. Maybe not. But that is my first inclination.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts