Modded Mustang Forums banner

Need Help ASAP!!!

738 views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  MikeHP350 
#1 ·
Ok so i go to get something out of my car tonight and my dome lights arent on! get my keys and there is nothing happening. Dead as freakin doornail. Get my wifes car and my jumper cables. Hook it up and still nothing!!! Not even a light. The cables are on fire, just hot not literally on fire. Double check the polarity and its right. Its smokin at the battery and the cables still hot as hell, WTF!!! The only thing I noticed Friday on my way home was the voltage guage lower than normal. There has been nothing done or changed recently. Is it the alternator? I thought it would still get power off my wifes car, and jump off. this why i am lost. It is my DD and I have to have her back up by Monday morning. i checked all the fuses under the hood. What could this be????

#2 ·
Take the battery to autozone, kragen etc. They'll test it and charge it for free.

#3 ·
This happened to my wifes New Beetle and it turned out the battery had alot of water loss.

#5 ·
oh man. you dont have a charger or a volt meter? check it. That sounds like a bad battery to me though. x2 on the testing tomorro man. hope it the battery for you

#6 ·
yeah they will test the alternator for free too

#7 ·
once you get the battery checked or get a new one, advance can do a ground check as week and maybe that wil narrow it down if its not only the battery

#9 ·
Ok this is getting crucial now. Alt. tested fine. Put it back in, let AZ charge my battery, I have the original battery in another car, so i put that one in, and the cables are smoking and hot. What the hell is causing this? I need my car working tonight!!!! Help please!!!!

#10 ·
Ok I found it!!!! The positive cable was grounding out in the loom, in the bracket, WHERE THEY CRIMP THE POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE TOGETHER!!!!! Absolutely dumbest thing I have ever seen. Seperated all the cables and electrical taped them, and shes runnin like a champ!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.