Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
man the only time i go out is to eat and i get pulled over for running a stop sign. I told him that i did stop and he said, "yes you did, but you did it after the white line and only for 1 second" I don't know the law but there is no way he could tell me how long i stopped for without timing me.

Anyways I'll be fighting that in court, but that's actually not the big deal. The big deal is what the cop did next. He asked me to open my hood. I agreed and popped my hood since everything is visually legal to my knowledge. Then he goes and says my Vortech blow of valve is illegal since its adjustable. I told him its vortech and came with the kit but he didn't care, he said to "just take your poof to the referee" and slapped me with a mandatory referee inspection.

I had no idea the Vortech Mini race was illegal, I looked online and found nothing about this. I need to find out if its legal or not, does anyone know?

My other question is my engine. Last year i had my engine rebuilt and stroked to a 5.0 and then had comp cams installed,XE270AH. I'll be tossing my stock H-pipe back on before going to the ref, but Is there anything else i could do to help pass emissions? Do you think i'll pass? I knew the risk of the cams before hand so that's my fault, what makes me mad is the engine builder was not supposed to stroke it but did anyways. I just kept it because it sounded really good, and now regret it. Someone said to run 10% more ethanol in the car to help it burn cleaner, any other tips? Also Should i decrease my vortech pulley to the stock pulley or would that not matter?

Any tips are appreciated.

Has anyone been to a California referee, what do they look for? Do they do a full visual inspection and smog test? I heard this is also an exhaust sound test too.

My last question. I was told i cant drive my car and if i do and get caught ill get my car impounded. How am i supposed to get it fixed if i cant drive it! This is the part that really makes me angry.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I got some advise move out of that **** hole that you live in. That is one of the most screw up states. All that cop wanted was to make money off you. I thought the only problem was not having cats to pass smog in Cali.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
To be legal in California the Bypass Valve (or kit) has to be listed as CARB legal for your year of Mustang. For example, at one time some parts were legal for 99-01 Mustangs but not 02-04 because the approval for the part occurred in 01 and the part had to be re-approved for the new years.

Here is a link to a database of CARB approved modifications.

Database: Aftermarket Parts Database of Executive Orders

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
I don't know what to say man. I have no clue when it comes to your smog Nazis out there. Hope it all works out for you man.

BTW, I wish my engine builder would just throw in a stroker kit for me! lol

·
Registered
430 Posts
Don't know what to tell you but all i can say is i also hate living in this **** state because of all the damn emission laws. Still have my stock mid pipe cause i don't know if i wanna even mess with all the laws out here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts