Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am getting ready to order more stuff soon. Right now I am trying to stay around 300 bucks for my next upgrade. First of all while I will make a trip to the strip here and there I plan to road race and autox more often. Even more time will be spent doing some spirited driving on whatever curvy roads I can find. So I just don't know what I should do first. Because I realize that the mods will all work best in combination. And that will come with time. A quick question is..I have heard if I plan to hit the twisties more than the strip I should forget about rear upper control arms. Is that true? Here are some thing I am looking at... Also for control arms I must be able to have a spring perch and sway bar mount

New front brake rotors with Hawk HPS pads SS lines and some good high performance fluid. Cost about $290 give or take a little.

UPR upper and lower control arm package $299 I picked this one because I hear I want the spherical type bushings where possible ( Jazzer can comment ) But I really don't need the adjustability I don't think and not sure how these compare to MM's parts Link 1999-2004 Ford Mustang Pro Series Adjustable Control Arms Package - UPR Products

Sub frame connectors from MM About $169 plus shipping and welding at $94 an hour labor rate.

MM Rear lower non adjustable control arms HD Rear Lower Control Arms, 1999-04, with perch, swaybar [MMRLCA-5] - $259.95 : Maximum Motorsports Performance Mustang Suspension Store, Buy Now! $259.99

MMR Upper control arms $129.95 Rear Upper Control Arms, solid axle, 1979-04 [M-5500-A] - $129.95 : Maximum Motorsports Performance Mustang Suspension Store, Buy Now!

Also if I do upper and lower arms I should remove the quad shocks correct? If you guys have other suggestions in this price range that would be great. Also if you want to recommend a paticular brand or something please link to it and if possible explain why I should go that route so I can learn something while I am at it. Thanks as always!

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
My .02,

Drive a few events stock and find out what you don't like about the car and remedy those issues. When I open tracked my car it was apparent that there was excessive wheel hop in the rear and serious understeer overall. I ripped out the entire suspension and installed a Maximum Motorsports Max Grip box along with a set of Wilwood SL6/DL4 big brakes.

The 'stang has now been transformed into a go-kart!!:D

All I need now is to find a good deal on a Termi motor and I'm set!!

John

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I you are going for corner carving than forget the uppers. A few of thr rear end mods even eliminate them all together. If you havnt already replaced the shocks, struts, and springs, I would start there. Later as money alots, Watts link or 3 link, and bump steer

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I'f you don't have subframe connecters i'd get those.. because it will stiffen up the chassis and help you in turns and the 1/4 mile. if you are a corner carver. coilovers would be your best bet eventually. and don't get uppers if your going with a torque arm and watts link because it eliminates the need for uppers.

Upgrade for the future not for the now.

Jazzer sent me a link of a sticky from a brother site. it pretty much told me everything.

·
Registered
6,093 Posts

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
Damn.... didn't I already respond to this thread? I see no posts by thyself :(

For $300, I say FLSFC's unquestionably and indubidubly :yes
Stay away from the UCA's you have linked for $129, as they suck for your needs!
I like the UPR UCA's, but would forgo them and go PHB or WL and torque-arm to properly tame that rear end of yours :confused:

Jazzer :)

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
01mggt,

Check out this link:

Suspension Guide - The Mustang Pitstop

This will explain everything!

John

pssst... that is a copy of my thread combined with that of our own ModMustang97GT here on MM's. I actually attained permission to use his info and add my own. I am not sure what the guy on Pit Stop has added, but he better check back to mine as I update it frequently :yes

Jazzer :)

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
I KNEW THAT LOOKED FAMILIAR!!!

John

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
If you do not have sub frame connectors. That is the most important thing to get. Street/strip/track, you need subframe connectors. The subframes make everything work together, and your stock frame is weak and flimsy. And under spirited driving, the frame will eventually warp and deforme.

·
Boost gets you laid
2,625 Posts
torque arm/panhard bar ftw!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts