Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2013 5.0
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my car AFTER adding some Waterless/Rinseless wash to the bucket to soften. Doing a two bucket method. And drying with compressed air... I'm at my ropes end and about to give up and start using the drive through places..

How do I prevent these waterspots and if I can't, can I follow up with a QD to wipe them off?

This was also done after the sun had set in 65* weather...

This seems to be the end results no matter what method I use.

Sorry to make it a total bitchfest but because of this, this is the first time my car has been washed in almost 4 months. It literally didnt get washed at all during the summer because I would look at the buckets, get angry and walk away.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Yes you could use qd and id recommend it. You must have hard water. I would try qd and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
39,159 Posts
What kind of wax or sealant do you have on the paint.

My steps for drying my car sealed with SNPS are

1. Use the sheeting method. You just take the nozzle off the hose and let the water sheet most of it off.

2. Use an electric leaf blower to get all the crevasses like around the badges, gas cap, grill, windows, ect as well as best you can with the panels.

3. Get whatever is left with a waffle weave microfiber using UWW+ as a lube/drying aide.

These steps give me a spot free finish.

·
2013 5.0
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of wax or sealant do you have on the paint.

My steps for drying my car sealed with SNPS are

1. Use the sheeting method. You just take the nozzle off the hose and let the water sheet most of it off.

2. Use an electric leaf blower to get all the crevasses like around the badges, gas cap, grill, windows, ect as well as best you can with the panels.

3. Get whatever is left with a waffle weave microfiber using UWW+ as a lube/drying aide.

These steps give me a spot free finish.
I have nothing on the car. No wax, no sealant... I have no clue how to get the car to a non water spotted finish without using QD and a microfiber.

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
I have nothing on the car. No wax, no sealant... I have no clue how to get the car to a non water spotted finish without using QD and a microfiber.
I always dry the car with microfiber and QD after sheeting and blowing with a leaf blower. Houston water is ****ing terrible for leaving residue behind so I'm usually rushing around the car as fast as I can trying to dry before the water dries itself and I still get some spotting - not too bad though. So I would suggest just going to town with the QD and towel when you wash regardless of process.

There's nothing wrong with using QD and a microfiber to dry the car... Why don't you have any protection on the paint? This is why it's so difficult to dry.
Think he's saying there's no point in putting protection on when he always has water spots before he gets to that point. I'd feel the same way - putting an extra layer on top of the spotted paint would just make it harder the next time you decide to try at getting rid of the spots.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
That may be why it did it in the first place.

If it's etched into the paint you'll need to machine polish.

·
2013 5.0
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That may be why it did it in the first place.

If it's etched into the paint you'll need to machine polish.
Not Etched into the paint.

Think he's saying there's no point in putting protection on when he always has water spots before he gets to that point. I'd feel the same way - putting an extra layer on top of the spotted paint would just make it harder the next time you decide to try at getting rid of the spots.
This precisely... I literally run around the car trying to work so hard that I start to sweat which doesn't sound right to me. It's made washing the car more of a chore than something I can relax while doing on a Saturday or Sunday morning or evening.

I haven't put any SPNS (which I have almost a full can of after 1 application) because I was always assuming it should go on a fully cleaned car.

My plan was basically a
1. Wash
2. Clay bar
3. SPNS

But I never get quite to the claybarring portion, the water spots always appear so I just say **** it, and walk away with the car water spotted and have a beer, while throwing the washing buckets across my back lawn.

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
Not Etched into the paint.

This precisely... I literally run around the car trying to work so hard that I start to sweat which doesn't sound right to me. It's made washing the car more of a chore than something I can relax while doing on a Saturday or Sunday morning or evening.

I haven't put any SPNS (which I have almost a full can of after 1 application) because I was always assuming it should go on a fully cleaned car.

My plan was basically a
1. Wash
2. Clay bar
3. SPNS

But I never get quite to the claybarring portion, the water spots always appear so I just say **** it, and walk away with the car water spotted and have a beer, while throwing the washing buckets across my back lawn.
So have you ever done the QD and wipe down with microfiber before? If not, I would try that; then, assuming the water spots are there from the previous times, do a quick enough polishing to get rid of them, then I would assume an IPA wipedown and SPNS. Oh and I guess claybar somewhere in there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts