Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I changed my thermostat and thermostat housing gasket yesterday filled it up with antifreeze and drove around no issues. Well today I smelled antifreeze so I checked and it had overflowed temp stayed normal. So I cleaned up the mess and continued to drive beat on the car a little and no more came out. When the car was hot the coolant level was where is should be, when the car cooled down the coolant level dropped to a little under halfway down the reservoir. Should I add more coolant or just leave it?

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Where did the coolant come from? A leak, or are you saying it came out of the overflow?

Might have been air bubbles in it. Let the thermostat cycle a couple of times with the radiator cap off and make sure it's full.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i think there are cold and hot level lines but i could be wrong, id have to go look. i always add antifreeze when its cold so id say wait until its cold then fill it to the line. also make sure its not leaking from the gasket, you cant really over fill it unless you go past the line on the overflow so just make sure all the air is out and the gasket isnt leaking, fill it up and you should be ok.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Came from the overflow from under tha cap. Where should the coolant level be when the engine is cold the the mark on the reservoir? If so how does that leave much room for expansion?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think there are cold and hot level lines but i could be wrong, id have to go look. i always add antifreeze when its cold so id say wait until its cold then fill it to the line.
There is just that one line that says add coolant, I guess I'll fill it up to that line when I get off work.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
leave it alone for a few day's (watch it doesnt get much lower though). most likely just had an air pocket that worked it way out (ie. the small coolant loss) & is stabilizing itself now. check it over the weekend & top it off & you should be good.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
i wouldnt leave it low though... if he has another pocket in it it could cause issues. I would top it off with distilled water to be safe.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
keep a gal of antifreeze in the trunk if your worried. I'd give it till this weekend & check it/top it off (if you drive the car every day that is).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts