Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
currently the car has a 302/c4 combo with something around a 270 something set of gears.

i want to put a narrow rear end under it, maybe 40" or 42" flange to flange, axles that match the front bolt pattern (TCI setup for 67 mustang), and something thats not too heavy (9" housing).

the car will have the complete TCI front setup and 3 link in the rear. the current engine and trans will stay in the car for awhile longer.

i will drive the car a couple of days a week and plan on doing some amateur road racing with it.

i plan on putting 550-600 HP and a 5 or 6 speed in it later.

i'm probably forgetting some information.

any input is appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'd say you definitely want a 9 inch rear end. If you experience what I did then every grumpy old car builder has snatched up any 9 inch rear end that would be a fairly simple bolt on deal for a mustang and wants to charge you about $500 bucks for a dirty old housing that needs new bearings, seals, and brakes. So that leaves you with basically 2 options:

1. Find a 9 inch housing that you could shorten (or pay to have shortened). You can find these at any junk yard. They are a dime a dozen on the 60s-70s ford trucks. Then pay a few hundred to shorten the housing, a few hundred for some axles to fit the narrowed housing, plus rebuild the third member with the gears you want. I would say you'd want gears somewhere between 3.50 and 4.56 depending on if you go with the 5 speed trans or 6 speed plus the type of driving you are gonna see and the rear tire diameter. (If you have the right equipment to shorten housings and re-cut axle splines you could do this for a reasonable price but most people don't do this kind of stuff anymore except for the big boys.)

2. Cough up $1,000-$2,000 and have someone build a custom rear with the exact measurements for your application.

I went with option 2. I had a few 9 inch housings from ford trucks but they were all small bearing housings and by the time I added up the price for narrowing, custom axles, and a brake package I was about the same price as the custom rear end. I ended up paying $1,600 for a big bearing housing, 31 spline moser axles, 4.33 gear set, and 12" wilwood disc brakes. I used a third member that I had and put a locker in so it would match the 31 spline axles instead of the original 28 splines.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats good information

where did you get the setup you went with?

thank you for taking the time to share information

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've been doing some research.

i have an 8.8 inch rear end in the car already. i was thinking about having it narrowed.

housing narrowed ($125)
axles narrowed ($150)
backing plates and rotors (?)
i already have the 4 piston wilwood calipers

what do you think?

·
Registered
103 Posts
mrtleavitt - Have you used Quick Performance rear ends before? They look pretty legit and I've seen good press on a couple GM forums but haven't heard much from the Mustang crowd. Their rearends are considerably less than a comparably equipped Currie or Justrearends.com rearend

·
Registered
150 Posts
No I have never used them before. I just assembled my whole rear end and everything fit perfectly. The craftsmanship as far as welding and general construction of the rear end looks as good as any that I've ever seen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts