Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on ordering some Steeda U/D pullies but im unsure about installation... I called a local shop and they said they would charge me $90 to install them and i would rather not pay that. How difficult is it? Do i need any speacial tools?

·
Banned
491 Posts
you need harmonic balancer pulley thing.. you can rent it at autozone.. other than that basic sockets.

goto american muscle and goto the underdrive pullies then watch the video its very helpful.

Reactions: Pittbull

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rent it? Sweet!
how much do they charge for renting the tool?

·
Banned
491 Posts
rent it? Sweet!
how much do they charge for renting the tool?
technically its free.... if you have a credit card they charge it, tool is prob 50-100 bucks to rent but when you bring it back they erase the charge!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I think you get what you pay to rent it back..or atleast most of it..I have one so I don't know...but you need and impact to do the alt... And put the car and gear and a long break over to get the bottom pulley bolt if it won't come out with the impact...its easy...

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that is freakin awesome! i had no idea they did that :D

+1

and i plan on ordering them from americanmuscle.com and ive seen the video i just figured i'd ask. THAT IS THE BEST WEBSITE FOR MUSTANG PARTS

·
Banned
491 Posts
I think you get what you pay to rent it back..or atleast most of it..I have one so I don't know...but you need and impact to do the alt... And put the car and gear and a long break over to get the bottom pulley bolt if it won't come out with the impact...its easy...
I did my buddies with a hammer and breaker bar (same concept)

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha nicee.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I tryed hitting with a hammer but that didn't work...so I put a piece of pipe over the breaker bar had a buddy hold the brakes in 4th gear and pulled...finaly let go

·
Banned
491 Posts
^ same concept.

impact = QUICK burst of energy, enough to break but not long enough to turn.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i didnt use an impact on mine at all mainly because i didnt want to take the radiator out to get to the crank and the socket wouldnt fit in the alternator pulley for the nut. you definitely need a ½" breaker bar and id recommend a 6pt 18mm socket, but thats just me. let me stress the breaker bar is a good idea and makes it a lot easier. for the alternator pulley nut, i left the belt on the pulley and held it with channel locks on the belt cuz i replaced it anyway. you could always pull the alt. and take it to auto zone when you get the harmonic balancer puller and they can swap the pulley for you. for the crank, the HB puller just barely fit on the pulley nut in between the block and fan but it worked just fine. just watch the video and you cant go wrong, its really simple.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info everyone. You just saved me $90!

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gah i kno... i cant imagine what horrible things mine was put thru the first 131 thousand miles of its life :((((

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I didn't even put silicone...couldn't find any... Mine isn't leaking though so screw it...but I would do it anyway If I was you OP

·
April 2012 ROTM
4,739 Posts
american muscle is a good site but def not the best/be all end all stang site....look around a little...they have a sneaky way of tackin $10-20 on everything lol

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Yea they have some good deals but others...they stick it to you...that's how they all are though

·
April 2012 ROTM
4,739 Posts
very true...you jus gotta look around

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah tru... well best ive found so far.
brothersperformance.com is pretty good too
im def gonna b ordering a BBK Strut Tower Brace from them sometime

1 - 20 of 21 Posts