Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was at the track and this guy had 28" slicks on his stang and i was talking to him and he said that if i have stock gears and axles to go with a 26" tire. i think ive read something on this forum before discussing this issue but im not sure. what is the dealio? and would 28" tires fit under the fenders if the cars lowered approx 1.5-2 in.? for instance Mickey Thompson 3757R - Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial Tires - Overview - SummitRacing.com i know theyre quite wide but i have shortened axles bc i have a 95 rear end in

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
28" tires will fit yes. But like he said running N/A I would run a 26" tire. Even without stock tires I would run a 26" tire. I have 4.10s and running a 26" slick. I might go to a 27" next year because I plan on running N/A and on the spray

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
more surfice area that has to rotate.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and how much of a time decrease would 28" be compared to 26" with a lil over stock hp? because i want to get some fat ass tires on 15" rims and the only 26" tires i can find are 275 wide unless i get slicks... and i may want to drive around on these rims a bit... driving around on slicks= ticket :) catch my drift? lol

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
oops nevermind, those are 28 my bad

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
see haha impossible i looked on summitracing.com and they have all the diff combinations.... but does anyone know how much of a time difference u sacrifice using a 28" tire compared to a 26"?

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
what gears you running? a 28 will bog you down if you dont have the power or gear to utilize them. i would run a 26 personally. i ran around on my et streets without any issue's from the cops.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
If you have stock gears and 28" tires, it's gonna be hard to not bog the **** out of it unless you have very nice power levels.

Next year I'm either gonna buy some 15" rims and and something like a MT 3053 26x10-15 slick or put some MT 275/40/R17 et street radials on the stock bullits and run those.

You said you wanted to put a wide tire on there. 275 is pretty wide, over ten inches. How wide are the 15" rims that you're gonna run?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sorry for the high-jack OP, but are 275/40/17's too wide for a 17x8 rim?

Thanks for the help guys-

·
Registered
349 Posts
Nevermind-
my slow ass just figured out how to use the wheel guide at the tire rack link-
thanks

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
A 275/40/17 is a little over 25.5" in diameter and it's not "supposed" to go on an 8" rim. I figured it'll be fine for drag racing, I'm not gonna run it on the road if I go that route.

@OP, still wanna know how wide the rim is that you're planning on running. If it's a 15x8 you're not going to get much more than a 10" slick on there. That 10" MT slick I was talking about has a 9.6" tread width, so you're not supposed to put in on a rim any narrower than 8.6".

With a slick you're supposed to keep your rim width within 1" (either way) of the TREAD WIDTH (not the section width) of the slick.

EG that MT 3053 has a 9.6" tread width (11.6 section width, doesnt really matter) so you should keep it on a rim that's between 8.6" and 10.6" wide.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok guys, coming from experience, the 275/40/17's will fit on stock bullitts and will be fine.. i have a set of those exact tires on my car now and i just got back from cruising on the highway at like 130 and theyre fine... took turns and everything... not saying its smart, but i did it.. actually got smoked by a galant and supra haha, and they were both the older styles, like 80's..... and im planning on running a 15x10" wide rims

1 - 20 of 20 Posts