Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am trying to prep everything for when my cams get here. I have been trying to remove my damn driver side valve cover for like an hour or more. I have it loose and have the gasket all loose. But it seems there just isn't enough clearance to get the stupid thing out. It keeps hitting on what looks like the brake booster and sometimes on the sensor in the brake fluid res. I can't seem to get the connector off that sensor either. It's being a bitch. Any help for getting this cover out of the car? Also if you want to throw in tips for when I get to the pass side will be helpful as well. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
It will come out, but it's not easy. Just a certain way you have twist and work around the brake booster.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
it comes off it just takes patience and some slight leverage use some gloves to prevent you from cutting your hands on the head edges

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Spin the injectors and if the coils arent already out take em out. If you tilt it up then pull towards the center then pull the other side up it should slide aas long as the injector is slid outta the way. Thats how I pulled mine at least

·
I Blumpkin Entirely Way Too Much
6,802 Posts
+1... just gotta pop them injectors up outa there, then it just takes a fine touch to get the valve cover twisted just right. then she will pop right out of there, one really good tip about the installation, and i repeat this to everyone that says anything about cams (incase they didnt already know) the left cam goes in the left side and the right cam goes on the right side, LOOKING FROM THE DRIVERS SEAT FORWARD!!! i.e. RH cam goes in passenger side and LH is for the driver side!!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the excellent tip on placing in the cams! I ended up getting the covers off :) Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
+1... just gotta pop them injectors up outa there, then it just takes a fine touch to get the valve cover twisted just right. then she will pop right out of there, one really good tip about the installation, and i repeat this to everyone that says anything about cams (incase they didnt already know) the left cam goes in the left side and the right cam goes on the right side, LOOKING FROM THE DRIVERS SEAT FORWARD!!! i.e. RH cam goes in passenger side and LH is for the driver side!!
Another easy way to test this...take the cam and put it up next to the new cams. if the lobe matches up then it's the right one..if it's off by like 1/2 and inch its the wrong one. Thats how I did it.

·
I Blumpkin Entirely Way Too Much
6,802 Posts
Very true, or option #2 (the not so preferred way) put the cams in, hope you placed them correctly, slap them in, hit the key pull the heads off and pull the cams out of the shattered pistons. because thats what happen to mine! but thats because my views were backwards haha

·
Registered
799 Posts
if anyone hasnt said this yet.....take off the whole power steering fluid tank assembly that's right in front of the valve cover. then lift and slide to the front of the car. just did mine lol

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
if anyone hasnt said this yet.....take off the whole power steering fluid tank assembly that's right in front of the valve cover. then lift and slide to the front of the car. just did mine lol
O yeah, forgot that part lol. good call tmac

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will remember that when I put them back on! lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read through all the forums; and from reading I had 2 options: unbolt motor mount and move motor or unbolt brake booster; either way a pia. Being new to owning a cobra, not mustangs, all I could think was this cannot be the only ways to do this. Well I am here to tell you there is a way easier method.

1) un-do your clutch cable. Mine has the aluminum steeda quadrant so I just pulled the cottor pin allowing me to pull it off without any trouble.

2) pull the spark plug cables off and move them out of the way.

3) Unbolt the valve cover which was 8 bolts on top and 2 on the front of the cover.

4) This is the part that my buddy and I stared at wondering why not just pull that and it would allow you to pull the cover off......Unbolt the I think 6 bolts on the intake manifold. I also unscrewed the nut out of the eger tube fitting on the driver side to allow more movment. Once that is done you can just lift it and off comes the valve cover. Yes it is that simple.

I know this is an old post and someone somewhere has to have done this but I couldn't find it everywhere. Hope this helps the rest of you.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
There's room but barely. Just have to take your time and find the right angle. It's like you have bite your tounge just right and wait for the planents to align during a solor eclispe lol.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
The brake booster is pretty easy, 4 bolts, and then you just take out the pin that holds it to the brake pedal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts