Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am tring to set up my ring and pinion. I am having trouble getting the pattern I want.

As of now I still have a little too much backlash, but my contact pattern looks way off to me. I went with the same pinion shims as it had ( .034) Preload is at 18 in lb and I have .018 backlash, now I know I have to change that backlash, but my carrier shims wont be in until the morning so I was trying to get the rest set up. can back lash cause this odd pattern, as you can see by the pics it is heavy toe on one side and heavy heel on the other. whats up, and what can I do about it.
will adding shims to pinion help, and if so how much? Its a real pain taking this pinion bearing off and on.
Please help if you can
thanks

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
it helps to take an old pinion and woller it out so it just slides on for set up, Id put some more shims in it to center up the mark and you should be set

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
well I added .008 to it and it still doesnt' look right to me, that brings me to .042 shims in the pinion, if I keep adding I wont need any carrier shims because my backlash is now down to .014 but how many shims is too many,:confused: I figured ford performce gears would be closer than that.
how mush more should I go?

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
sorry carrier, shim the carrier to bring the marks to the center of the teeth

back lash is still a touch loose, we try and shoot for .008 and have had great luck with that number

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
your almost there, just make sure your in the middle. As far as backlash I don't use the hayes manual guide, i always set them around .011-.012 . .008 is a to tight IMO

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry carrier, shim the carrier to bring the marks to the center of the teeth

back lash is still a touch loose, we try and shoot for .008 and have had great luck with that number
So does that mean I should start back with pinion shims and then set backlash and check? or leave the pinion shims where they are and set back lash?

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
start playin with the back lash, see where that gets you, sadly this is one of those jobs where its do it 20 times lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it unusual to have to add twice the original amount of shims?
I started with .032 and I went to .050
here ar pics of .045 and.050, at .050 it looks like its getting worse, but according to the pattern it would need more. to me the best looking one so far is the .040 on the original post I made. But it may be the best of them it is not waht they say I am looking for.

any ideas:(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts