Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I need some help again! Yesterday I went to work and then at the end of the day left and on the way home stopped to get a haircut(not that this is important or like you want to know what I did yesterday...lol) I got in the car after getting a haircut started it up and my volt gauge read fine(14.3) about 30 seconds after leaving the parking lot and goin down the road my red battery instrument cluster light came on and I looked at the voltage and saw I had less than 12. It stayed like that even when I got home and was parked with the car running. When I rev the car the volt gauge will jump over 14 and then once the rpm drops down again so will the volt gauge. I replaced the alternator about 3 weeks ago with a Tuff Stuff 150 amp alternator. I am really hoping the brand new alternator isnt dead already. Last night I took the battery out and went and had it checked at Autozone and it was fine. I am going to go and have them check the alternator once I leave work this morning. Any ideas guys cause from what I have been reading it seems my alternator is bad already. The car does have a forged short block, PI Heads, and a Procharger. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
How fast is it idling? Is the chassis ground in good shape? Are the lights getting dim?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The headlights don't dim at all..where is the chassis ground at? Been looking for it

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
The chassis ground is from the drivers side motor mount to the frame.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
it could be the regulator in the alt not letting the altenator charge to the full potential, i had this problem with carquest's altenators, i went through 3 and finally i went somewhere else and ordered a brand new one

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Autozone said alternator was good....at 2000rpm it pumped out 100 amps

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
i had the same thing, when i had mine checked it tested good i had to put it in the car and wait for the battery light to come on and then i took it to the electrical shop and he checked it, told me the regulator was bad, he said it has something to do with how they are welded in certain areas, i bought my new one it was made in the usa it costed about 210.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No pulleys......think I might go get an alternator

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
However Tuff Stuff is getting a call cause got it from them

1 - 12 of 12 Posts