Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I have both the instructions for each cam but have no idea on what I need to take off. I also have the ford spring compressor tool and timing wedge. I assumed that it was the locking mechanism that holds the spring.

I know what the roller, spring and locking mechanism are but have no idea on what ford calls the 'follower'? Once I figured out how to use the spring compressor tool I was able to compress one of the springs just enough to expose 3/4 of the locking mechanism in the spring. But it still wouldn't come out and I couldn't get it to compress any further even with pushing on it.

Can somebody tell me exactly how get the 'follower' off and exactly what it is?

Before anyone replies with a smartass comment, I have read every cam install and none of them point out what the 'follower'.

I was doing this at a shop and only had 2 hours until they closed so I called it it a night and will start again bright and early.

·
Semper Fi
4,181 Posts
hey bro. calm down and take a deep breath :D

the follower is the little roller skate looking things under the cams. in order to get to them, you must take off the cam journals, the 'U' looking things (or caps) with sequential numbers on them. once you got them off, the followers will be directly under the cams, one for each valve.

btw what cams do you have?

·
Semper Fi
4,181 Posts
and you didnt power wash your motor before you cracked it open did you...

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey bro. calm down and take a deep breath :D

the follower is the little roller skate looking things under the cams. in order to get to them, you must take off the cam journals, the 'U' looking things (or caps) with sequential numbers on them. once you got them off, the followers will be directly under the cams, one for each valve.

btw what cams do you have?
First off I didn't power wash but I used compressed air. Also, they are NSR II N/A cams.

I'm just a bit thrown off because the ford service manual states to 'take the 3 followers' off, and then like 2 steps later after it says to put the engine at 6'o clock it says to take the cam journals off in the sequence.

I also have a question, Which springs do I compress to get the follower off in this ford manual?I thought that I had to compress the spring on the right side of the LH.
2007 Ford Mustang S197 Service Manual

So How would I do that. Would I:
-Compress one of the 3 springs
-take the cam journal off
-Then put the the cam journal back one
-Repeat for all 3?

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
The Follower is the part that follows the cam. The cam lobes push against the follower and it opens the valve. Use the compressor tool to open the valve/compress the spring, and this will relieve the tension on the follower and it can be removed. Your supposed to remove 3 of the followers and then turn the cam/motor. What this does is remove the upward pressure on the camshaft from the valve springs and followers so you can remove the cam journals without tension on the bolts. This is not as important for removing the cams but for installing the new cams with the proper torque on the cam journal bolts. Many people skip this step though.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
+1 with 07Boss & Beef. If you can have a buddy there to help you.

- Compress Spring
- Remove cam follower
- Uncompress Spring
-- Do for all 3 cams followers on whatever side you're working on

- Remove cam journals
- Put breaker bar on crank and loosen cam sprocket bolt
- Swap out cams, lube everything up, install new cam and new cam sprocket bolt
- Put cam journals on and torque to spec

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a million guys. I know exactly what your talking about now. I was under the impression that I had to take that spring that the instructions was pointing to. Wow I feel like a retard lolz.

·
Semper Fi
4,181 Posts
ya...............about the whole instructions thing..............yaaaa............didnt use them.....or any of the fancy azz tools

i just straight up took off the journals, swapped cams, made sure the followers were in place, and tightened down the journals again. lubed the hell outta everything, got valve covers powerdercoated, and drove off into the sunset. 8k miles later she runs like a charm.

·
Semper Fi
4,181 Posts
he a couple of us got to talking and it may be in your best interested to have a professional take a look at your motor before you button everything back up and try and start her. i'm not saying you're not capable.....particularly......but the last thing you want to do is be driving down the road and your engine starts shooting valves thru your hood. your camshafts are the brain and most important part of your motor, timing wise. and timing is EVERYTHING in an engine. one small F up and your done.

so, take it how you want to, but we would like to see this be a successful cam job. if you dont get a second opinion on your work, plleeaasseee post all the pictures you can and describe EVERYTHING you do/did in great detail and we will help you in every way we can. good luck!

-beef cake

ps: a lot of us on here have these same cams including me, usafimj, JoeIce, 07stangGt (used to), and 07procharger has an AWESOME write up that i used in the 'How To' section

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
he a couple of us got to talking and it may be in your best interested to have a professional take a look at your motor before you button everything back up and try and start her. i'm not saying you're not capable.....particularly......but the last thing you want to do is be driving down the road and your engine starts shooting valves thru your hood. your camshafts are the brain and most important part of your motor, timing wise. and timing is EVERYTHING in an engine. one small F up and your done.

so, take it how you want to, but we would like to see this be a successful cam job. if you dont get a second opinion on your work, plleeaasseee post all the pictures you can and describe EVERYTHING you do/did in great detail and we will help you in every way we can. good luck!

-beef cake

ps: a lot of us on here have these same cams including me, usafimj, JoeIce, 07stangGt (used to), and 07procharger has an AWESOME write up that i used in the 'How To' section
:tomato

I understand where your coming from and I have to learn somewhere. I'm not retarded with cars and have changed my clutch many a times. It just that the ford instructions are horrible.

A professional mechanic is going to be their tomorrow if I have any questions and I plan on taking your advice.

P.S. I wouldn't have had any problems if the freaking ford instructions pointed to the rollers and not the freaking rocker arms.

·
Semper Fi
4,181 Posts
oh ya man dont get me wrong, my philosiphy is that the best way to learn more about something is to F it up......but you cant F it up toooo bad ;)

lol but the first rule of installing performance parts: the instructions suck!! lol

actually when my headers came in, i **** you not, the instructions were so vague it was like:

step 1: remove drivers side manifold
step 2: install drivers side header
step 3 repeat on passenger side

well no ****!!!!!!

:lmao

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no ****:eek:. Lol

Due to an unfortunate Halloween incident last night my camera met Mr. Pavement followed by mister chinese rubber:cool:. I'll try and take some pics with my phone but the quality sucks.

I'm hoping today I'll be able to get the cams installed, engine dressed and ready, my v6 out along with the trans.

I'll be estatic if I can get the engine in the car today because I'm still waiting on my tune which is comin Tues. and I just found out that I need a starter cable and starter (forgot about it). :mad:

P.S. I have taken out my v6 before so that should only take about 3-4hrs to do assuming I'm shooting the **** with my friend.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
As you are compressing the spring make sure you push the valve down as you are cranking the tool tighter. You don't want the valve keepers to be exposed and fall off of the valve stem.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Thanks a million guys. I know exactly what your talking about now. I was under the impression that I had to take that spring that the instructions was pointing to. Wow I feel like a retard lolz.
Dude...that is how you learn.

Many guys are just scared to even try and they just pay to have it all done. I respect the guy that gets dirty and learns...even if you have to ask some questions.

I can't tell you how many times I've been stuck and had to ask questions...but now with teh internets an answer is just a few keystrokes away.

Forums like this have helped me immensely...like when I had a ProChamber rattle that turned out to be an exhaust bracket hanger.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Hey trill congrats on getting the cams in. This forum is great with helping eachother out. I called 07Stroker up in Canada like 15 times when I installed my cams. Pretty sure he got annoyed...lol But he still took the time to help me.

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
never got annoyed once lol. I remember that day cuz I was at the airshow watching the snowbirds. (Canadas verson of the blue angels) but im always willing to help out where I can.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Hey trill congrats on getting the cams in. This forum is great with helping eachother out. I called 07Stroker up in Canada like 15 times when I installed my cams. Pretty sure he got annoyed...lol But he still took the time to help me.
Dude, no ****. I'm not even kidding. Cam installs are freaking easy your way.

With that said, due to reasons out of my control and that I'd rather not get into the install has been postponed.

I swear it wasn't my fault and had I been given the right tool I would have finished.:eek:

Another FYI for those of you that are thinking about the cams. To get the cam off the phaser and keeping the tension on the timing chain, you must pull with both hands. One hand on the cam and the other on the phaser. It helps to have someone hold the phaser when your done, or pass you the cam.

·
Semper Fi
4,181 Posts
Another FYI for those of you that are thinking about the cams. To get the cam off the phaser and keeping the tension on the timing chain, you must pull with both hands. One hand on the cam and the other on the phaser. It helps to have someone hold the phaser when your done, or pass you the cam.
ya, luckily i had a buddy hold my camshaft for me (no ****)

but really it does help....and you dont need that stupid wedge or whatever ford calls it to squeez a dime outta you. litteraly, the only tools i used were socket wrenches, a torque wrench, and my bare hands.

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
i used the tools and did it by myself, nice and slow

·
Semper Fi
4,181 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts