Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am purchasing this 05 mineral grey mustang in about one month .... but everything is still stock....
I have no idea what size rims ... or tires would be best to give my mineral grey mustang a better look...

I saw online that wider rims would help with the handling of the car.... also do I need to get a muffler on the car?

would t be best to get the vent covers for the small side windows?

I don't know anything about rim brands, or radio brands.... also need help with any exterior suggestions for the car.

I am so lost right now and being that it will be my car I just want it to look its best and not with cheap items that will break.... it has like 150 k on it and I am getting it for 8k.... don't want to put more than an additional 4k into it for rims ( I guess I will have to get tires), a radio/ and system.... and other items that you guys suggest....

·
Registered
222 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Hey slow down and take a deep breath bud. There's no reason to rush to modify your car. Take your time and think things through. Don't just do what other people say, do what you like. Make it your own. Visit americanmuscle.com they will have enough eye candy to keep you busy for a few hours. You won't need to spend 4K on rims and tires. $1,500 will get you a very nice set of wheels and tires for your new stang. You can even do it for about 1k if you shop around. Check out the "How to and other helpful V6 links" sticky thread, inside that thread is a link to explanations of mods for beginners to help you learn about what your different options are. There are plenty of people on these forums willing to give their opinions, and some are very helpful, but remember not to just do what they say, take your time and do what you want. Good luck!

·
aloha ke akua
13,177 Posts
That's a lot of mileage! first things i would do is take a look at the engine and maybe put in royal purple fluids and get everything tip top. Then move on to an intake and tune. Check craigslist for cheaper rims. Deals can be had. Don't over spend :)

Congrats on the Mustang and welcome to MM.

·
Registered
932 Posts
are you buying that from a ford dealership???? kinda steep but who knows it might be in good shape... make sure before you buy look under the car to make sure that there isnt extensive rusting starting that will bone you in the future..... and the red stig is right you only need to spend just over 1k for the rims and tires look on american muscle at there combo packs.... when i had my 05 v6 my first mod was more performance based and i loved it.... i bought the jtl cold air intake and tuner combo from american muscle and it made a big difference for the money...... you dont need exhaust but if down the road you deside to mess with it dont just buy a muffler and call it good buy a true dual catback system you wont be dissapointed and lastly make it your own do what you think looks sweet because you are spending the money and you have to live with it lol. have fun modding!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yea you are paying a good chunk for one with 150k on it, is this from a dealer or from an individual? I could see a dealer trying to pull 8k on that but I would say 7k at most for that mileage from a dealer. I do advertising for many dealers and see a lot of vehicles go through so I am very informed pricing and what they cost at auction. just saw a GT go through auction for right under 10k with 80k miles on it, of course it was marked up before sale to 14k with new tires, bearings, and stripes; but just a reference point on what a dealer may be paying for that vehicle. Also KBB says 5800-6100 for that vehicle in private party good-excellent condition.

Just as a comparison I have a red 05 v6 with 115k on it that I am looking to sell here in the next few months. I am going to ask 9-10k on it but it will be detailed and inspected 1st much like a dealership and that's why I am asking 9-10k, only to allow a bit of heckling room, but more than 8k since mine is taken care of and will most likely sit on one of my clients lots. If you actually would be interested in a month or so and still looking let me know through a PM.

On the mods front, like many said don't rush it. Wide wheels and tires are great, they will increase handling but they will hurt snow handling going wider and also when you put wider tires on the pavement fuel mileage drops; and heavier wheels if you increase wheel size also hurts fuel mileage while it helps increase handling a small amount. I went to a much much wider tire and it had a noticable MPG impact but not so much on the handling. I would suggest craiglist to be honest to get wheels and tires, find someone with barely used tires and then put new ones on before winter or just wheels. I got chrome cobra R's with 90% tread Falken tires for $500 from CL so I know its a good place, provided you do your research.

If you really want somewhere to start look at cold air intakes and tuner combos. You will need a tuner for most future mods especially if your tire size changes any. But good tires are important as a safety measure so do not skimp on those if they are in need of replacement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts