Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im going to look at a 96 gt i have a 95 but know nouthing about 96 4.6. i want to know how i can tell if it has pi head and any thing too look for. here is what the car has done mabey some one will know this car.
1996 gt with only 112k miles with piheads, intake, c&l racin plenum,roush 65mm throttle body,42lb inj,90mm mass air,vortech charger,intercooled,steeda caster cambers,eibach springs,steeda lower control arms with sway bar upgrade,steeda tri ax shifter,373 gear,bbk headers,upr hpipe,spec clutch with billet quadrant and firewall adjust, immaculate interior BUT car does need paint....is faded...that was my intent to paint and keep this car cuase it has so much potential to be KILLER and u cld finish it easily with a slick paint job! Has all new speakers and kenwood cd player.also has staggerd 18x9 and 10 inch black bullets,autometer boost guage and digital tach with shift light.car is set at 7lbs of boost at 5500 rpm! Not a monster but a fun dependable car! I drive daily.and to nashville 2-3 times a week

·
Registered
185 Posts
I know that there is a clear difference between the PI intake and the non PI intake (Pic Here). But im not sure how youd be able to tell if the heads are pi or non pi with everything assembled without being able to see the casting numbers. Im pretty sure somebody here will be able to help you out. Damn that stang has alot of mods though. Personnaly I would not buy it. I wouldnt feel comfortable not knowing what went on during the installation of all those mods.

·
Registered
678 Posts
For the PI heads the oil cap should be on the left valve cover usually.
Not always.

I don't think you will be able to tell with out a casting number or pulling the intake to examine the intake ports.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If it was a romeo to romeo swap then the 96-98 valve covers could have been reused, so the oil fill ins't a good indication...

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
not a monster? sure sounds like it to me

·
Registered
678 Posts
I don't know why I missed it but I doubt its got PI heads on an NPI short block with a supercharger. With that combo you end up with over 10:1 compression and while it can be done its not going to be very tolerant of a less that perfect tune of even bad gas. Now with some 60 lb. injectors, a big fuel pump, and some E85 it would be a really fun car.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
prolly does have the heads, and that coolant hose looks weird lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts