Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i got my 87 plow bronco with the 302 my bat cable broke about 3am i cam home stold one of the stang then couple hours later bat was dead tested it it was not charging took alt of stang thought it was fine but its not charging took alt of got it tested and it tests good both of them do and have new cables and bat in it is there a fusable link or something iam missing any help or wireing pic would help chiltons sucks thanks guys i need this asap its snowing hard here

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Ok so i got my 87 plow bronco with the 302 my bat cable broke about 3am i cam home stold one of the stang then couple hours later bat was dead tested it it was not charging took alt of stang thought it was fine but its not charging took alt of got it tested and it tests good both of them do and have new cables and bat in it is there a fusable link or something iam missing any help or wireing pic would help chiltons sucks thanks guys i need this asap its snowing hard here
There are two fusible links in the alt wiring. One is on the black/orange cable, this is the positive charging wire and the link is typically blue I think. The other fusible link is connected to the same black orange wire but it goes back to the alternator yellow wire to activate the voltage regulator.

Check at your battery to make sure it is getting 13.5+ volts while the car is running. If yes, the problem doesn't have anything to do with the alternator. If not, check at the alternator positive wire for 13.5+ volts. If yes, the problem is the wiring from alt to battery. If not, either the voltage regulator is not getting actived or the alternator is no good.

Some alternators test positive on a voltage test, but not on a current load test.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are two fusible links in the alt wiring. One is on the black/orange cable, this is the positive charging wire and the link is typically blue I think. The other fusible link is connected to the same black orange wire but it goes back to the alternator yellow wire to activate the voltage regulator.

Check at your battery to make sure it is getting 13.5+ volts while the car is running. If yes, the problem doesn't have anything to do with the alternator. If not, check at the alternator positive wire for 13.5+ volts. If yes, the problem is the wiring from alt to battery. If not, either the voltage regulator is not getting actived or the alternator is no good.

Some alternators test positive on a voltage test, but not on a current load test.
Thanks man i goy iy fixed the 2 wires whent in to the same fuseable link but it ran under the bat tray and theblack/ orange wire had melted almost in half so i replaced the plug the wires and the solinod because i seen it was cracked to so she is pumping out 14.9 volts now I am just going to leave the mustang alt on it it has a underdrive pully on it and buy a new 200-250 amp alt for the stang thanks for the help

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Cool, sounds good. You might want to check that the voltage regulator is getting power, 14.9 volts is kinda high. As long as the battery doesn't blow up you should be good...lol

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Yea, I agree. 14.9 is about a half a volt on the high side, typical voltage while running should be between 13.8 and 14.4. Double check your meter or whatever it is you are using to test for voltage before you do anything.

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Yeah I run over the half line on my voltmeter too. At least I see white lights not brown lights when driving LOL.

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
I know this is fairly old and probably made it half way to thread heaven but I must add, if you are getting a 200-250amp alternator, please add a **** load of electric stuff like a big massive stereo system. You will make your elec. system bust a nut with all that voltage and speaking of which. I just replaced 3-4 of my fuse links on the solnoid. Which wire on the alternator is the positive side so I can test for volts?

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts