Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 89 2.3L LX. When I start the car cold, the engine idles up like normal if not a little higher than normal and I put it in drive and go. Now usually after I come to a stop two or more times, the idle will be idling normally and then suddenly, it will drop to about 400 rpms and start "chugging" when I give it gas to resume driving again, it misses something terrible unless I rev it way up and then it will smooth out above 3500 or so but if I then try to hold the car at a constant rate of speed or slow down to an idle it misses and chugs. Here is the really strange part: If I pull over and put the car in neutral or park and just let it idle for a few minutes, it will usually just as suddenly as it started pop back up to normal idle and drive fine until I have to come to a stop again or bring the rpms way down to almost an idle. Then the whole process starts all over. If I just let the car sit and idle for a long period of time it will do this almost like it is cycling. What it reminds me of is when an AC unit on a car clicks on and puts load on the motor then off and releases load. This is a very frustrating problem as the car runs horrible when it does this and it happens everytime I drive it anywhere. PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds a lot like what was happening with my 1990 Stang does it seem like it's losing power when the engine is under load like going uo a hill? the problem with mine was a bad spark plug wire. Check your plugs, and plug wires, if it's turns out to be not either of those 2 things check your fuel system

JD :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts