Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp i took my car 2 weeks ago to a shop to get the overheating issues fixed, which was what i figured worse case scenario, new fan, waterpump, radiator, hoses

Turns out i got a small hair line crack in the block right under the alternator.

Gonna try to throw some jb weld on it just to get me through for a little being that i hardly drive many miles and i'll baby it.

Now The decision to make, I dont really want to trade in on a diff mustang.

The shop so they can do full motor swaps and i can even have the motor delivered to their shop.

What would i have to get to make the 99+ motor swap work, i need exact details so i can give him a call and tell him what all will have to be changed etc.

HOWEVER what i would REALLY like to do is do the cobra motor swap.
So what all would have to be changed to swap over to the dohc motor instead. And is there any differences in the 96-98 over the 99-01 and what does that include.

Once I figure out everything I need i'm just going to take a small lean out on my car and do the swap rather then get stuck in another tang for 10g's and a few xtra years of payments. And this way i'll have something damn near brand new motor wise and i can take care of it and maintence it, etc.

Please anyone with good expertise in this department give me good details on what has to be swapped with each of the motors,
- 99-04 GT motor.
- 96-98 Cobra Motor.
- 99-01 Cobra Motor.

This really means alot to me, thanks alot guys.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
eBay Motors: Saleen 4.6L V8 Engine - SUPERCHARGED!! Complete motor!! (item 180220615702 end time Mar-09-08 18:46:39 PDT)

What all would I need to make this swap and what should i get done while getting it swapped so i can get a discount on labor (like headers).

I just sent the guy a message telling him i'll buy it for a good price and help me out with shipping and to give me a call so i can find out more info about it.

Thinking If I could get it for around 2k and him pay half of the shipping costs 200$ each, 2200 would be a pretty good deal. What you guys think.

What would it cost to get the valves n stuff fixed up like he talks about in his comments. Also how much would an avg price to go ahead and get it forged.

I got a guy that will do a motor swap between 800-1000 depending on what all has to b swapped and changed out. 800 if he dont have to pull the tranny and install a different one etc.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The engine should be a direct bolt-in. You'll take off the individual coils for the plugs on the motor you buy and reuse the coil set-up you have on the 96. Be sure you have the updated intake (aluminum x-over). The enighe bay harness should also plug right up. Just strip everything off of the motor you buy so it looks like the motor in your car when it comes out. If you have a 5spd, might want to throw in a new clutch too. Someone correct me if I'm wrong????

I thought the intake was leaking, now you found the block is cracked???

·
Registered
189 Posts
Oh yeah, I have a 99 motor in my car. It was put in just before I bought it. It runs like a scalded dog!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well friday he told me i had a cracked intake and it had to be replaced, then today when he took off the belt + alternator he saw a real small thin crack on the block under the alternator so he just didnt do anything.

I'm very glad tho, cuz after i picked it up today and observed it the intake isnt cracked it just has a leak in the far back passenger slot where the tubes from the heatcore run threw the fireway down into the intake manifold, however my heatercore went bad awhile back, and i've havent gotten a chance to fix it.

and now its all corrded and like green **** all around the tube connection as it goes into the intake manifold so thats prolly what ended up causing a leak

prolly wore a gasket out.

i'm going to throw a pi intake on it myself tho and knock that in the butt.

and i believe if i use some acetone to clean the lil small crack area and then sand it down with some paper and use some good jb weld on it i can fix the hair line of a crack cuz its damn tiny.

and i dont put alot of miles on it and dawg it alot or nothin. i'd just b happy if it bought me some time and let me be able to drive it for awhile till i could perhaps find a machine shop to maybe weld it back together for a cheap price.

if not i can atleast save up some cash and take my time finding a motor swap and have some xtra to put some goodies on it all at once, instead of tryna take a loan out on it to throw a new motor in it.

says on this box jb weld can withstand up to 600degree F some hoepfully the block doesnt really get hotter then that.

esp after i throw in a 180 thermo stat, a new radiator, cooling fan, and all new hoses.

atleast my check engine light finally got fixed, he put my MAF sensor and 2 o2 sensors on it and found the leak + crack and didnt charge me nothin so it worked out pretty good.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Good deal...some people do still do what is right, but that is hard to find!

Good luck with the PI, you'll like it! Although I never got to experience mine before and after the swap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts