Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed today that my drivers side sits about an inch lower at the rear. I am having a hard time finding why its lower. I have adjustable perches on my lower control arms and they are still where I set them, there is no added weight in the car and nothing really seems out of place. Axle location side to side seems about as even as I can tell. The only thing I can think of is maybe a bent axle tube. Looking at it under the car it looks like its not straight, but that's eyeballing it thinking that might be the problem. I already knew I had bent or twisted axles by the wear on my tires and have everything I need to rebuild the rear, but I wasn't expecting to have to deal with bent tubes. There is more wear all around on the inside of the drivers side tire than I remember so I really think its the axle tube. Right now I am thinking about buying the pricy brace from che View the Track Attack Rear Suspension Axle Brace<br>Part No. CHE9D at http://www.cheperformance.com and hope that I can bolt that up to hold the axle tubes where they need to be. Is this a good fix to straighten axle tubes or am I screwed and need a completely new rear?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Im just warning you that if your axel really is bent your going to have a heck of a time (if any) trying to put on the brace. It's meant to prevent your axel from having it get bent.... dunno how good it'll do for you now?

It's a good piece though, im running one myself :)

Good luck, hope im wrong about what i said and it does work for you.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
IF it is a bent axle tube, a nice brace will not help. swapping out the whole rear end would be easiest and cheapest imo. buying a used housing wouldn't be much more if anything more than the brace. but I dunno how on earth you would of bent the tube. unless something got hit pretty hard on the back?

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
it could also be a busted bearing. Is there any hum/droan coming from the car when driving? If so, does it go away when you steer at a quick ratio left and then right?

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is some noise from the rear, gets louder the faster I go but it goes away whenever I let off the gas. I assume its gear whine but I have all new bearings waiting to go in with 31 spline axles and matching carrier. I planned on getting a brace for the rear, just figured id wait and do it later so its not a big deal to get it now. Im thinking about getting the brace and seeing what that does for me and winging it from there.

Or maybe I missed something in my 5 minute "wtf" moment, what all would make a side sit lower out of nowhere?

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
weak spring, bad bushings in a control arm, torque box fatigue

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
weak spring, bad bushings in a control arm, torque box fatigue
all of those would be much more likely than a bent axle tube. unless it warped itself when it got welded(which it doesnt sound like you had them welded) then it would only bend if you hit something super hard

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
while axle tubes bend quite easily in the right circumstances, I don't really see that being the case with what I know about your car.

first thing I'd do is to check the spring orientation (ie. which way they bottom pigtails are facing) mabie with the adjustable spring perch lowers (about the biggest no-no there is in my book) when you adjusted them they got outta whack.

short of that I'd be thinking about axle bearings.

lastly, if the housing is already bent, your not getting that brace on, but I don't know about buying a whole new housing, just take your housing to a chassis shop in your area & have them straighten it & weld the tubes, then put the brace on.

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked to see if the springs turned on me and the adjustments are still how they were a year ago, and the springs are still clocked about the same. I do not work at a chassis shop however I can do all sorts of things with metal at work and would feel comfortable messing with the rear end if I knew that it will be ok if it matches the brace.

I have never seen a single complaint about che. I haven't seached for any but it seems like people are generally happy with their products. Would I be ok trusting that the brace is straight?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
I checked to see if the springs turned on me and the adjustments are still how they were a year ago, and the springs are still clocked about the same. I do not work at a chassis shop however I can do all sorts of things with metal at work and would feel comfortable messing with the rear end if I knew that it will be ok if it matches the brace.

I have never seen a single complaint about che. I haven't seached for any but it seems like people are generally happy with their products. Would I be ok trusting that the brace is straight?
Chuck's stuff (ie. CHE) is perfect every time so yes I would trust it to be straight.

as to straightening the housing yourself (if it is indeed bent) you'll need an axle housing jig, best to leve it to the pro's.

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think its just the tube pulling from the housing. I can see rust and whatnot on the tube, and then there is a cleaner spot right next to the housing. Not too long ago it was leaking oil from that spot. See what happened was a while back I pulled off the road for an ambulance, and then when it was all clear I kind of layed into the throttle to get back up to speed so I didnt get rear ended by highway traffic. Car made a very scarry sound and the rear end had a very loud whine, I babied it home and thats when I noticed the oil leaking out the side. I popped the cover and nothing looked bad at a glance so I cleaned out the rest of the oil and put some fresh oil in. Whine got quieter but is still there, I didn't think much of it because I was already going to replace everything anyway. So right now the plan is to see if I can get the brace on, then weld the tubes and hope its good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts