18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
89 5.0 starts up but dies, will restart and run rough then
it smooths out and runs ok. This all happens with a cold
engine, any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Bump, I just had this happen to me today. I was thinking about just raising the idle but that is more of a band-aid fix then anything

·
Registered
61 Posts
check and...ok will do.

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
check your salt and pepper connectors, make sure you have 02's, check the air intake tube. sometime the clamp can move the tube just enough to suck in unmetered air. Free **** is always good to do first. I had a problem like that on my 95 and I changed the 02's, went away.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You see though the engine has not been touched since i got it. how may o2's on a 5.0? one for each bank? bear with me i am still learning about these v8's

and what are black and white connections?

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Two 02's for a 5.0 and the black and white (salt and pepper shakers) are the connectors on the backside of the upper intake manifold. They have the fuel related wiring running through them.

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
Never hurts to check them out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips, I'll check those items, hopefully it's something simple.

The car does have to sit for several hours for the problem to show up,
just sitting for a hour or two it starts and runs fine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Two 02's for a 5.0 and the black and white (salt and pepper shakers) are the connectors on the backside of the upper intake manifold. They have the fuel related wiring running through them.
So why is thel fuel wiring running through the mani? injector related? egr crap? or is it just using it as a bolt anchor while it is running to some other place? again sorry for all the questions just trying to pick up everything i can. I will deff look at it all tomorrow

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
So why is thel fuel wiring running through the mani? injector related? egr crap? or is it just using it as a bolt anchor while it is running to some other place? again sorry for all the questions just trying to pick up everything i can. I will deff look at it all tomorrow
Those connectors are the main connectors for the engine harness. All the sensors, injector wiring, and distributor wiring go through those connectors. They're known to cause problems. I actually eliminated them on my car while chasing down an idle issue myself... they didn't end up being my issue, but now it's one less thing I have to worry about lol.

They're not running through the manifold, they're just behind it.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Those connectors are the main connectors for the engine harness. I actually eliminated them on my car while chasing down an idle issue myself
Do you have picture of that ?

Do you have some sort of a plug that can be disconected or did you just make it one continuous run ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Those connectors are the main connectors for the engine harness. All the sensors, injector wiring, and distributor wiring go through those connectors. They're known to cause problems. I actually eliminated them on my car while chasing down an idle issue myself... they didn't end up being my issue, but now it's one less thing I have to worry about lol.

They're not running through the manifold, they're just behind it.

thanks for the info! I kinda figured that they weren't running into the plenum. Like I said just trying to get used to the new platform. I will look for the corroded wires and whatnot tomorrow, although I am leaning towards the IAC valve. I had the same problem with my import. when I put a new one in, It fixed the same issue. I just hope a hew one doesn't cost 180 like it did for the vr-4

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
I am leaning towards the IAC valve. I had the same problem with my import. when I put a new one in, It fixed the same issue. I just hope a hew one doesn't cost 180 like it did for the vr-4
Try cleaning it first before you buy a new one. Pull it off a clean it with carb/throttle body cleaner, Spray it out a few times

·
Registered
61 Posts
Will do and let you know tomorrow. I just hope it doesn't require me to pull the plenum...inports can be annoying at times

Nothing like having to pull the plenum just to change the rear 3 wires and plugs..

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I just cut the plugs off and soldered in extension wires. I did it the easy way and did one wire at a time so I didn't have to worry about mixing any of them up. I don't have any pictures of the harness but I could go take some tomorrow. Don't know if they will do you any good because I've rewired my entire car and tucked all the wires in the fender and behind the dash, so it's not exactly stock looking.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just cut the plugs off and soldered in extension wires. I did it the easy way and did one wire at a time so I didn't have to worry about mixing any of them up. I don't have any pictures of the harness but I could go take some tomorrow. Don't know if they will do you any good because I've rewired my entire car and tucked all the wires in the fender and behind the dash, so it's not exactly stock looking.
mmmm tucking is secks...pics or ban!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts