Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've decided to undertake a new project on my 04 gt with the mach 460. I've slowly been starting to upgrade the entire sound system. A few weeks ago I installed a pioneer avh-3200bt headunit, and now i want to move to putting in subs.

Only problem is that I'm not too knowledgeable about car audio systems. At first I thought I wanted 2 12s, but i think thats just overkill for what I want. I listen to almost every kind of music but the majority being rock and hip hop. I don't want something that will rattle the entire car / cause the trunk and door panels to flex, but rather something that will hit hard enough to feel with good SQ. So for this reason, and because of space constraints I was thinking I would do 2 10s. I want to build the best system I can on a budget. I'd like to stay around 600 and i plan on building the box myself

At first i was thinking about the Alpine R 10s, but honestly i think 2 of those may be too much. I could be completely wrong though so feel free to correct me. The other subs i had in mind were the Infinity Kappa 100.9w's and Alpine E 10's. Someone at the local shop suggested orion xtr pro's but i havent heard much about them.

and in regards to an amp, I have no idea what to look for. Someone suggested an Alpine m1000 but I'm not sure if that will supply enough power or is a good amp.

Essentially I need advice on a good combination right now. The combo I had in mind was 2 alpine R 10s and the alpine m1000 amp. Once I decide on the setup, I'll need help with figuring out the specs for the box so that the subs are given enough airspace, but I'll jump off that bridge when i get to it.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I decided to go with the Alpine Type R's paired to the Alpine MRP-M1000 and the box is already made. They make a 2 ohm and 4 ohm model however and I'm confused on how to wire them. I had emailed crutchfield asking which ones i should pair with the m1000 amp and this is the response i received:

While two 4 ohm subwoofers will present a 2 ohm load to the Alpine amp, the SWR subwoofers are not single voice coil. They have 2 voice coils each so it's similar to wiring four subwoofers. You will want to get the SWR-1023 subwoofers as each subwoofer can be wired to a 4 ohm load and then two of them can wire to a 2 ohm load so you get the 1000 watts of power from the Alpine amp.

I'm not sure what was meant by wiring them to a 4 ohm load and then to a 2 ohm load. If anybody could help me i'd really appreciate it, I don't want to ruin my subs or amp

·
Registered
474 Posts
Two 4 ohm subs wired in paralell = 2 ohms.
Wired in paralell= (+)from sub#1 to (+) of sub#2 and (-) from sub #1 to (-) of sub #2.

Hope that helps.
I was gonna suggest going with JL audio, I run 2 10's in my truck with a JL mono amp. I wouldn't buy anything else.My .02.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked into going with JL's but i couldnt quite justify the price jump for what i wanted. Plus i got a really good deal on the type r's.

As far as wiring the subs though, the advisor from crutchfield told me not to get the 4 ohm subs and to instead buy the 2 ohm version since they would best match with the m1000 amp. The way i understand it, there are 4 terminals on each sub (2 sets of + and -). Will wiring the subs in series or parallel together = 4 ohms? and in wiring the subs do i connect both sets of terminals to each other or just one? It sounds like how i connect the subs together will = 4ohms and how i connect them to the box = 2 ohm after... at least that was my interpretation. And then once i wire them accordingly, how do they wire to the box?

The subs should be here in the next few days and the amp will hopefully be here by the end of the week. Sorry for so many questions, but I don't want to mess up the amp or subs plus I'd like to learn how it all works instead of taking it to a shop.

I appreciate the help

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 6 of 6 Posts