Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 123K miles on my engine and i was wondering if i should rebuild the engine or just get a new engine with forged internals b/c im trying to get a turbo or a s/c for my car.

·
Rainbows Mechanic
1,612 Posts
3.8 block is pretty damn strong so there is always room for a rebuild but you have to look at the time and money factor...if you know how to rebuild you could know a rebuild out easily...especially if you have another car to drive in the mean time...

And when you say a new forged motor are you talking like a 4.2 or you talkin about swappin a v8?

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
i have a 153k and still kicking... i am starting to mod it too... if i were you i would save up a bit and do the engine and then three months later the supercharger... by that time you will value your money a bit more and maybe consider some other options... or dive head first in to a fun situation...

but if you really wanted to the engine might be able to hold up for a year at a moderately low boost... with those kinda miles

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya im still in high school, but i graduate this year.. im probably getting a stage 2 from ssms over the summer, then go from there. once i feel like i can put a s/c in it, then i will.

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
your engine is good for about 200,xxx miles with the stock pieces but thats a lot of miles for boost. I personally would rebuild the engine, and then look into fi. Also look at the other components of your car before jumpin into this. They also have the same miles as your engine well should have the same miles. Gotta beef up and rebuild other parts as well.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
if it was my car i wouldnt boost it with 150K, bolt ons and cams and such are good, but stay away from FI

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
ya im still in high school, but i graduate this year.. im probably getting a stage 2 from ssms over the summer, then go from there. once i feel like i can put a s/c in it, then i will.
well if u realy see f/i in ur fucher don't get the stage 2. save up for a full moter swap, or if u realy want to do a h/c/i swap this summer look in to a 2= or 3 pp, 3 being the best for moving lots of air. but u may have some low end power ishues.

also just noticed u have a single port, i would strongaly look in to doing a split port swap.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
stage 3 or stage 3+ package, w forged internals, centri blower, split port swap, and youll be looking at some impressive numbers, of course if your a manual i highly recommend clutch,flywheel, 8.8 rear swap, better axles, fuel system upgrade so on so on

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
stage 3 or stage 3+ package, w forged internals, centri blower, split port swap, and youll be looking at some impressive numbers, of course if your a manual i highly recommend clutch,flywheel, 8.8 rear swap, better axles, fuel system upgrade so on so on

cool ill look into that stuff. how much would the centri blower and split port swap cost? and i have an auto and plan on getting a 8.8 anyway.

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
were have u found a 3+ pp, 3 is the bigest i know of

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
You don't need the split port swap if you want nice numbers you can get it with the single port. The split port swap isnt as fantastic as a lot of people think it is. keep it single port and just build it up. Thats a good option. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
just forget the v6 and get a v8. you could do all sorts of stuff to a v6 but its just going to give up on you

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ill probably build it up without the split port swap. heres the mods i want to do so far:
B&M Shifter Kit
B&M Hammer Shifter
B&M Torque Converter 2400
Flowmaster 40's Dual Cat-Back Exhaust
MAC Off-Road H-Pipe
MAC L/T Headers
CAI (Idk Which One Yet)
8.8 Rear Axle With 4.10 Gears And T-Lok
... thats all i can think of.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts