Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some trouble with my 88 lx last summer. I would go for a ride and when i stop the car, and try to start it up again it wouldn't. I couldn't even hear the gas pump pumping. So what i did was turn the key On and Off, On and Off, On and Off and after a couple of time i would hear the gas pump running and the car would start. But it did happen 2 times that it didn't start at all....so what we did was plug the battery on another car to charge it up...and it worked.....but i dont think its a battery problem. I dont know. Can you guys help me with the problem plz!!!

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Starting with the battery, if it started right up with another battery, check the volts on your old one. Second Your fuel pump could be on it's way out the door, Third, Check your FPR(Fuel Pump Relay) which is located directly under your driver seat.

Started go find another FPR from another stang or one you may be able to find and see if the pump stays on, if you have the same issue, time to start looking for another fuel pump .... BBK Fuel pumps are not expensive and they work. Or you could get an Aeromotive fuel pump. Make sure you are getting voltage to your battery too... check your alt.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i had a problem where i would drive my car for a couple hours and when i went to start it again it wouldn't. i checked the battery and the alternator slight problems with them so i replaced them. but once again it started giving me problems. come to find out when the car got warmed up the starter stayed hot and it wouldn't engage. i replaced the starter and it solved all my problems. so the moral to the story is make sure that the problem is what it is and don't replace unneccasary parts. check fuel pressure and make sure that it is the pump before you start replacing things.

·
Registered
164 Posts
lol pull it out and get another one.lol its like 3 dollars for it. or you can check the resistance and the ohms on it with a multi meter.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay thanks a lot....i plan to check the problem in a couple a weeks when i get back home!! THanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FORGOT to ask.....If i change the fuel pump. Can i put a better one in even though my car is almost stock?? What should i put in if its really a fuel pump problem

·
Registered
164 Posts
if you put a bigger pump in it will increase the lph however the injectors still won't allow more fuel to come into the motor until you put bigger injectors.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
okay! that would make sense...because i remember playing with the solemiod and then it worked....I ll check it out thanks man!!

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
if you put a bigger pump in it will increase the lph however the injectors still won't allow more fuel to come into the motor until you put bigger injectors.
I would go with a Fuel pump that flows around 155 and get an aftermarket FPR from Aeromotive... NOT HOLLEY

1 - 20 of 22 Posts