Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the deal. I'm looking for "cheap" (money is tight) advice on getting some horsepower for my car. I already put a CAI, i just want to do some cheap non complicated mods to get some noticable power. I'm also looking to make my exhaust louder. As far as the exhaust goes i know i need to go and convert to dual exhaust but im waiting a few months to save up for it, in the mean time in ordered a Flowmaster 40s muffler and am getting it installed in a couple days. I've heard nothing but good things about flowmaster so hopefully ill get a difference. Again, please feel free to comment and give me some advice, especially on HP, THANKS GUYS!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well right now 200, but im saving up as time goes by.. I talk mustangs with these guys at custom performance (gofastfords.com) and they tell me gears, but then they say ide need a new fusebox? b/c it would break after playing around wit it

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
well right now 200, but im saving up as time goes by.. I talk mustangs with these guys at custom performance (gofastfords.com) and they tell me gears, but then they say ide need a new fusebox? b/c it would break after playing around wit it
well i'd talk to someone else if they tell you gears will do anything truely amazing without mentioning a tlok & the fact you'll need a tune. :yes

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeh that's sound right. so other than gears with the tlock and tune.. you guys got any other advice, i looked into throttle bodies but to many bad reviews on the pedal becoming tight. thanks for the advice btw

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
yeh that's sound right. so other than gears with the tlock and tune.. you guys got any other advice, i looked into throttle bodies but to many bad reviews on the pedal becoming tight. thanks for the advice btw
TB won't do **** w/o a boosted application so don't waste your money...basically the gears/tlok/tune is the cheapest thing you can look into that you'll really notice a difference (even though you don't gain a single HP)

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Duals with cai w/ tunes u will see at most 7hp mabey 10 if ur lucky...gears help acceleration like they said no hp gain from gears but improved accel.
Now once you get the gears/tlok/tune (tune to re call spedo) next suggestion is winstar intke but tht might be ""complicated"" no offense idk what you can or can't do......sides tats pretty much it for what I can think off for non difficult hp adderes.....besides cam or f/I

Btw windstar intake ads 7rwhp/15rwtq...if I rember correctly

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so if i get the new gears then the tune for it will recallibrate the speedometer?, and windstar intake..? what exactly are those?, thanks again guys

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Windstar intake is the upper intake manafold from a ford windstar mini van.....leave it to ford to put better parts on a effing mini van rather than its prized sports car.....anyway

As said before its an upper intake from a mini van
It has been dyno'd to put 7rwhp/15rwtq....I belive...now I'm not sure how difficult it is but as by many ppl say on here its fairly simple if you take ur time and do your homework on ur engine...and kno what's what and where it goes when u take it off ...now me and my dad could deff do it in one day (he's a truck mech) so lol

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
lol what he said and 6er your no the only one that install stuff them selves
kinda
as long as i help my dad willl do most of it as long as im there to leanr and help when ever humanily possible or realistically poss...

gears tlok tuner cus me about...

199.00 tlok on sale last month on AM (WIN!!!)
gears wat 149ish?
tunner 300ish
labor free hahaha

·
Registered
91 Posts
Building on the exhaust note as well. You'll want longtube headers with those flowmaster 40s or else it'll sound like crap, especially if you remove the catalytic converters.

The windstar intake is around 300 too without install isn't it? It also won't be anything special without gears and tlok. That, with labor, can be a hefty penny.

Unfortunately you won't see any serious gains without spending some good cash. Your best bet if you're tight on cash is to just accept that you own a v6 mustang and that it's slow. Even the GT (modded fox boddies and the 2011 excluded) is nothing to gloat about and we're the lesser on the food chain.

That being said, do what will make you happy with your car. If you're not going to take it to the track then in reality, what's the point on getting some serious power in it? Granted it will be more fun to drive, but if it's stick it already is. A nice exhaust and a good set of rims to boot will just make it all that much more appealing until you have the cash to do some serious work to it (ie: motor swap).

Not exactly what you probably wanted in a post but just my $.02 from owning a v6 Mustang. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts