Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
☼ny
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bent an exhaust valve on the TFS heads recently. :bash:
The follower slid off the lifter and wedged itself between the cam and valve. Follower has cracks on it. It probably happened because of a loose cam bolt.

I'm going to remove the head from the motor next week. Definitely need a new valve, lifter and follower. I'd like some info on what other parts I should replace or what I can reuse(like valve stem seal, valve guide etc.) after I remove the bent valve. Any info on what to look for once i have the head out...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Replace whatever is broken. If your valve seals are worn, now would be the time to replace them. I just did mine for 20 bucks for all valve seals.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
I personally would take the heads to a shop and have the parts professionally removed inspected and installed once you remove the heads. With a bent valve unless tirck flow is different the Valve guides are pressed in so your in need of a machine shop anyhow. I would replace everything you metioned. Was it a loose cam cap that caused this? I would also have the head magnafulxed to ensure nothing is cracked.

We found that I had a cracked head when they were magnafluxed after I sent them in for porting. I had no ideal there was even an issue when this issue was caught which is why I have one windsor and one romeo head.

Reactions: Anirbond

·
☼ny
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This sucks! I didn't really want to take the head to a shop...they charge too much for little stuff around here. I'm sure it happened either due to a bad lifter or a loose cam gear bolt(or both). It happened while the tuner was trying to set the idle tune n rpms were just over a 1000. There was ticking all along though...I'm kicking myself for not trying to find the source of the tick before i took the car for tuning.
I don't expect the damage to be too bad. I'll try to remove the valve myself n then take the head to a machine shop for a checkup.

Thanks for the tips!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts