Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, its been awhile, havent had much time, but i went the the track last weekend and last night. here is my current setup
04 GT 5spd
Comp Cam Stage 1 262
LTs w/ o/r xpipe
k&n intake
intake spacer from AM (know it doesnt do much but it was alredy there lol)
SCT bama race tune

and monday i will be installing a BBK 78mm TB and UDPs

ok so i noticed almost everyone at the track is running drag radials and im not...lol. the results of all my passes have been average of 2.11-2.2 60ft times and 8.9-9.1 1/8th at 80mph

i think its time to step up to drag radials but i dont know what size wheel (diameter and backspacing) or size tire. my buddies are tellin me go with like a 15" wheel from jegs with drag radials. but i cant afford the aluminum wheels for $150each lol, so it would be steel. would it be worth it? or just find some stock 99-04 wheels and put on radials? any input from you drag guys would help. im still kinda new at this

thank you
-JT

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Since you're on a budget, I'd suggest getting some 15" X 8" steel wheels, with a 5.5" backspacing. For tires, Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials in a 275/50/15 size would be perfect for your setup. You'll knock off 1 or 2 tenths in the eighth mile once you get used to the new tires. 17" wheels have less sidewall than what is optimal on the dragstrip. You don't need anything larger at your power level (you'll have all the grip you need).

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i plan on running 3.73s after i buy drag radials, so you still think the 275s will hook? i mean i think they would, like you said im not making any tremendous amount of power.

and i was so happy when i beat a stock 99-01 cobra last night :) not by much tho, we were both on street tires, sounded like he had different exhaust and i believe he said intake too. but i was able to beat him. so stoked, thats my first wat i would consider big win for me. beat 2 other 99-04 GTs and 1 modded 350z who was right on me ass lol. also beat a new camaro ss, until the next time we ran he ran .5 quicker haha!

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have an 04 5spd also I can tell u if u put gears in ur car your gonna have a hard time hooking like I do drag radials don't handle the torque very well. But I completly drop the clutch when I race if u side step u will probably be ok. I have a 2 step and drop at 2800 rpm and get 1.80 60ft if I hook 1.90 if I don't. I've tried M/T streets not so good MT says on their web site that thier radials are not meant for manuals. I'm running NT05r at 12.0 psi right now. Call Mickey Thompson and talk to their tech dept they will be more than happy to help u answer any ?s u have.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont know man, a buddy of mine has a 5.0 foxbody with a pretty big size cam, longtubes, full exhaust with 3.73s and on drag radials he hooks pretty damn good. even on a 50shot he hooks good, he said 100shot spins every gear when he shifts but imagine that lmao.

and he sprays out the hole. maybe u need to work on your launch a little more, im not talkin bad but just from what i have seen drag radials work wonders with alot of cars.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh yeah, i believe he uses BF drag radials, hooks like a champ

·
Registered
446 Posts
i dont know man, a buddy of mine has a 5.0 foxbody with a pretty big size cam, longtubes, full exhaust with 3.73s and on drag radials he hooks pretty damn good. even on a 50shot he hooks good, he said 100shot spins every gear when he shifts but imagine that lmao.

and he sprays out the hole. maybe u need to work on your launch a little more, im not talkin bad but just from what i have seen drag radials work wonders with alot of cars.
No I'm hooking good now that I've changed to nt05r's I couldn't get the M/T's to hook that's what I was trying to say. ;)These nittos are brand new and hook and I know after a few more passes they will be ready to go I hook better with these now than I ever did with the m/t's

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
you will have your best luck/times (& alot less breakage) if you just stick with a bias ply tire on a stick car.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JD: gotcha
casper: hows that? my street tires suck on the track. im still learning about track racing, just trying to get info.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
casper: hows that? my street tires suck on the track. im still learning about track racing, just trying to get info.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I think he is saying to go with like a bias ply Hoosier QTP not a street radial or a drag radial. More like a drag slick or something that has a wrinkle wall type side wall

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
but slicks are gunna have crazy traction and i still have the stock 28spline axles, i dont wanna break em. ive heard that drag radials are hard enough on 28splines.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
but slicks are gunna have crazy traction and i still have the stock 28spline axles, i dont wanna break em. ive heard that drag radials are hard enough on 28splines.
drag radials will break you axles long before slicks will.

it's not a matter of traction, its the radial design that causes the breakage.

do a quick search on this or any forum, 99% of broken rear end threads start with "I was at the track with my new drag radials & look what happened".

·
Registered
446 Posts
drag radials will break you axles long before slicks will.

it's not a matter of traction, its the radial design that causes the breakage.

do a quick search on this or any forum, 99% of broken rear end threads start with "I was at the track with my new drag radials & look what happened".
Happen to me look at my thread last year I broke mine with 555's not only did it break the axle but took out the differential bout a thousand dollars to put it back together but that's racing

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hmmm...so whats the major difference in the tires? well i know the difference, but i mean the design and why are radials worse?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jus read some thread...great...now im worried about breaking my axles on anything other than street tires. but building a 31spline is $800+ that i dont have either. so either risk breaking an axle, or run on street tires with no hook until i can build the rear end and then save again to afford tires...

so many choices/risks.

·
Registered
446 Posts
jus read some thread...great...now im worried about breaking my axles on anything other than street tires. but building a 31spline is $800+ that i dont have either. so either risk breaking an axle, or run on street tires with no hook until i can build the rear end and then save again to afford tires...

so many choices/risks.
Moser makes hardened 28 spline axles which they claim r like 35% stronger than stock I was gonna with those until I pulls my rear diff out and saw the damage u can get a set for around $260 that way u don't have to buy a rear diff

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
JD: great info, thanks man. i think i will do that before i run any sticky tires, just to have less risks.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
just looked up the moser axles:
Moser Engineering 28 Spline Forged Steel axles are made with some of the toughest, strongest, most durable materials available. These axles feature machined C-Clip grooves to fit OEM application 8.8 inch rear ends. They are non-tapered and also feature hardened bearing seats for durability and performance under high stress conditions.

sounds good to me. $275 for the pair @ AM

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I would say that a 275 or 10.5" tire will get you as far as you ever need to go in your car. A bias ply will be easier on parts as mentioned before.

Jason Lee's 275 Drag Radial car on a launch:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts