Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 gt manual with the traction control option. I have a set of arctic claws mud and snow tires. Today my girlfriend drove my car in the rain with traction control on and tried to wind out 1st and started going sideways then shifted and started going sideways the other way. Scared the living **** out of me way more then her all i could think was please dont crash. ANyways im just wondering what suspension mods i could install. i have flsfc already. Was wondering if lower control arms would help drastically or anything you guys would suggest. I also have 4.10s on the way for christmas! :cool:

·
I smell like beef
5,580 Posts
What do you mean "wind out"? Like...nail on it and run thru 1st and 2nd in the rain? If so, thats your problem, not suspension.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Mud and snow tires. Rain. Winding it out. Nothing, nothing at all can help you except a little common sense. Throttle control is important. Lower control arms mainly control wheel hop. You are not going to get wheel hop on wet streets and they won't stop you from spinning your tires in the rain.

I'm surprised that traction control didn't cut off fuel to the engine though. When mine still worked it always did.

P.S. My traction control is permanently turned off. It kicked on when I didn't want it to and when I did my own reaction time was much faster than it. I thought it was pretty much useless.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeahh she pretty much just let the clutch out rolled and put it to the floor, definatly wouldnt say she punched it, it was like it was just slipping along with the throttle, i figured its all on the driver, but with the 4.10s on the way i just want to be posiitve i have the supporting suspension mods to have some control.

·
I smell like beef
5,580 Posts
I'm not saying my stang is a beast, but if you drive it like a normal human, its pretty well mannered with the 4.10s. A geo metro will get loose in the rain if u drive it irresponsibly.

·
Loud Exhaust Enthusiast
5,051 Posts
So.... your girlfriend hit the throttle hard in the rain and you're looking for more traction...

Get a Jeep.

It's a RWD car and your concerned about handling in the rain? :facepalm:

Just tell her to take it easy from now on.

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
Like said, any car can lose traction in the rain. This car is more vulnerable due to the RWD and the barbaric suspension.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
So.... your girlfriend hit the throttle hard in the rain and you're looking for more traction...

Get a Jeep.

It's a RWD car and your concerned about handling in the rain? :facepalm:

Just tell her to take it easy from now on.
My brother has a Jeep and it loses traction very easily on wet roads.

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
^ needs bigger tires :shiftyeyes

·
I Need More Power!!!
464 Posts
I also have 4.10s on the way for christmas! :cool:
Thats definitely going to make things worse for your GF. You should teach her how to drive if shes going to pilot the stang in the future.

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
Seems like a SRT 8, that would explain a lot. :lol

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Haha it is but really I was just trying to drive normally around a corner and the rear swung out. It suprised the hell out me since it is AWD I would say it swings out easier than my mustang and I have drag radials.

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
Is the Jeep stock or modded? I can't even imagine it being worse that a mustang on radials :eek:

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Probably summer tires. That and you might have a heavy foot or the car's throttle is too responsive.
Well it's the stock tires and yes the car is very responsive but that's how it came from the factory. It's a good amount of responsiveness :) You're probably right though because it has excellent traction on dry roads. I am also thinking it's the tires.

Same car is pictured here:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts