Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A) A local car shop wants to install pads&rotors all around for $600 (not gonna happen.

B) Get good pads&rotors all around from advanced for ~$200 (install myself)

C) Upgrade the Front callipers to the mach1 ones w/ new pads & rotors, (as well as new pads and rotors in the back, but not the upgrade) for ~$500

So I guess my question is kinda this.... is a upgrade worth the extra ~$250-300, or can I replace my current rotors & pads with something DECENT and make up the difference? I really don't want to have to spend the money right now unless it would just be stupid not to. I got tuition to pay soon. Kinda like instead of buying a wider rim (for traction), you would just buy a really really good tire to make up the performance difference.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Upgrade. You won't be in the position to do this again for a long time. Its like 350 for the cobra front brake upgrade, then probably 20 bucks a rotor for the rears, and 40 bucks for a set of rear pads.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Whatever you do don't buy your parts at Autozone, those are cheap parts and you get what you pay for these days.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They were duralast Gold (something), lifetime warrenty though, guy said that if they are under normal use, I just buy them once and they will replace them for free

·
Registered
705 Posts
Get your rotors turned and get your new pads for free?? That's what I would do

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
With your power and ****, I would go with the Cobra/Mach/Bullitt front brake setup. I wouldnt bother with the rear brakes though. Doubt youd even notice it.

You can buy the front calipers/brackets/pads from Buy Ford Racing for $250, need Banjo Bolts $14, Rotors $???? Then another good thing, is some front steel braided brake lines. Buy Ford Racing, and RoushPerformance (i think) carrys them.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Look at Jazzer's thread. You would be fine with just some good pads, not duralast. Like Hawk or EBC, new stock rotors, and if you want to upgrade, just get the stainless lines all around.

·
Jackpot, fishypoopypants!
1,986 Posts
I have the Cobra brake upgrade, and they are awesome. They look great too. I say upgrade, especially if you have that much power on your daily driver, or even weekend driver.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Look at Jazzer's thread. You would be fine with just some good pads, not duralast. Like Hawk or EBC, new stock rotors, and if you want to upgrade, just get the stainless lines all around.
+1, I was just about to say that!!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I went up to cobra rotors and front brakes for about $200 from a junk yard. LOVE them. Still have SS lines to install on the front though. I say go larger rotors and SS lines.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

simply upgrading the lines makes a difference?

·
Jackpot, fishypoopypants!
1,986 Posts
simply upgrading the lines makes a difference?
Steel lines ensure that more pressure gets to the brakes and give a stiffer, more firm brake feel with better response. However, bad brakes are bad brakes, and they still need replaced.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Just get replacement Ford pads and rotors (or have them turned) all the way around. I have had the cobra front brakes for 4 years now and honestly I did not feel a difference that would be worth the $350 I spent for them. I think the front kit is over $500 now. I have stockers in the back and rubber lines all the way around. If you want to get the bigger front brakes this looks like a good kit.
1994-04 Mustang Sve 13" Cobra Style Front Brake Kit at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

·
Full Frontal Nudity
1,725 Posts
I like the brakes that I have on the Bullitt, but honestly with some quality pads and SS lines the GT brakes are decent enough.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
Don't bother getting OEM rotors turned.... buy new aftermarket ones that are direct replacement.

.... oh, ya, read Jazzer's guide for your brakes, that guy is a brakin' fool :D

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
They were duralast Gold (something), lifetime warrenty though, guy said that if they are under normal use, I just buy them once and they will replace them for free
If you dont do any crazy driving i'd recommend just trying to get ahold of some OEM ford parts to put on there. Don't get advanced auto/autozone ****, it sucks. I had to buy new rear rotors and pads and i regret it. The rotors are so freakin cheap (and i bough the "good" ones) and the break pads make so much dust.

Also they told me the same about replacing them, but they only replace them if something goes wrong and there's a defect with the product...but more than likely nothing is gonna go wrong if you install them right and dont drive the car hard...

EDIT: my opinioin of what you should buy would be some OEM parts if thats possible or buy some aftermarket parts from AM or something.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hmm... OEM from ford? sounds expensive

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I did the cheap "best" stuff from Schucks and I regret it. My brakes squeal like hell and they don't stop very good. I wish I would have just bit the bullet and gotten the upgraded fronts and stainless lines. Stupid not too in all honesty.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
hmm... OEM from ford? sounds expensive
It's like a $100 for front and rear pads. Do you have an auto parts store near you that carries Motorcraft products? You can always find them on ebay if the dealership price is more. I went with Hawk Ceramic pads up front just to try them out. They were $100 and are probably the same thing as Motorcrafts than can be had for $60 at my local parts store.

Ford Mustang Motorcraft brake pads front 99-04 GT V6 | eBay

Ford Mustang Motorcraft brake pads rear NEW 94-04 GT V6 | eBay

Oem rotors are like $50-$60. You can get stock replacements for around $40 each.

For around $300 you can have new rotors and pads all the way around. If you do alot of aggressive stopping or drive in heavy traffic you can spend the extra $100 on SS lines if you wish.

·
Registered
295 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts