Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Outa Sight Outa Mind
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I need some advice, about 14 months ago someone set fire to my garage when I lived back in VA. Inside was my 67 gt fastback that I had been working on for the last 5 years. The car was finished and complete minus a respray. As you can imagine the car was destroyed, no insurance. Ok now I'm finally over the heartache and wondering if I should try and resurrect it. Ive heard a couple people say that the unibody would be retrievable. of course the whole car would have to be reskinned, top, fenders, doors, quarters, hood, trunklid. I mean everything but the unibody and maybe the floorpans. Ive also had people say the metal would not be strong enough to be used again due to the high heat of the fire. And thats where I need advice. Is it worth another 10 grand and 5 years or scrap it. Any advice is appreciated.

·
I love to skydive
17,286 Posts
I'd have massive respect for you for doing it again.

Also, **** whoever set it
On fire.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Resident Headbanger
2,421 Posts
Shame you couldn't catch the b***ard who set fire to your garage and chop his f***in' b***s off.
I'd be more concerned about distortion of the unibody by the high thermal stress rather than anything else. I guess you'll have to strip the remains of the car down to the shell and see what's salvageable. I suspect that you may need to find another fastback to use either as a parts donor or, if your unibody is beyond salvage, as the basis for a new project.
You were so close to completing your original project that I don't think you'd get over it if you didn't resurrect it, so I say the best therapy is to go for it and I wish you the best of luck. You deserve it.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Id take it to a body shop to get there opinion, and if they say its good, then build it.

Do you have any before and after pic

·
Outa Sight Outa Mind
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The county police were handling the so called investigation, I still haven't heard anything back from them and no one knows anything about it supposedly. I've never been one to cause trouble or anything so I've tried to keep a level head about it. I guess my next move will be to pull it to my dads farm, set her in the barn and tear her back to the unibody and start the process all over again. It may take me 10 years this time but I guess I've got a plan forward. I really appreciate the responses and support.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Wow, that was a sexy car gotta love those fastbacks. I saw a 70 Mach 1 on the highway and almost got a stiffy. Sucks about the fire, I'm guessing homeowners insurance didn't cover the car.

·
Outa Sight Outa Mind
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No it was a detached garage that was a good distance from the house I was living in at the time so it wasn't covered. It was my own ignorance I guess for not carrying Hagerty or Grundy insurance on it I was waiting till I got it finished. I never dreamed anyone would do something like that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts