Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could some1 explain the install process for a basic relay, im going to be running it for a fan

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
it depends on the relay look for a write up on google about it.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
take some good pics of the wires front and back of the relay.

·
Registered
140 Posts
your main power comes from battery to switch side of relay, then from other side of switch to positive on fan. Then run a hot from battery to temp switch on radiator then back to coil side of relay. Then run from the other coil side terminal to ground. Oh, and the other wire on fan goes to ground also. Wow, that's hard to explain in words, I wish I knew how to draw it out & post it. hope that helps

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not realy lol, so far im pretty sure I got 1 wire for ground from the relay 1 ground from the fan, 1 swith to relay, power to relay and coil to relay power wires right?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Think of a relay as a switch.

It has 4 posts.

One post is a ground wire for the relay.

The other wire switches the relay off and on.

The remaining 2 posts connect the item you want to switch (the fan in this case) to the battery or other 12V source (fuse box).

The thick wires on the relay always go one to the battery and the other to the thing you are turning on.

The thin wires always go one from the switching source and the other to a ground.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok thanx darrell that is a ton of help, one last question: the switch goes after the relay right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts