Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned in another thread that the back right tire on my mustang causes my car to shake when i get over 60. I think its just from the shop "fixing" the tire because it started a few weeks to a month after i got the car back. I would imagine that if it was a warped rotor it would shake all the time, right? I went looking on line at tires to replace the two back ones and i also need to know if the company Primewell makes a decent tire. Firestone has them on an online special for 60 bucks a tire and they are W rated ultra high performence tires.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Sounds like the tire wasn't balanced after it was plugged.

I've never heard of Primewell tires, though that doesn't mean they don't make a decent tire, just that they're off-brand. I will say that with tires you get what you pay for - a $60 "ultra high performance" tire isn't going to grip for crap, is going to wear quick, or both.

For a tire suggestion, I would need to know how you intend to use the car, whether you need a DD tire, a handling tire, or a drag race tire, and if you need it to drive in the rain/snow or not.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well its my DD but i drive pretty aggressively. well 60 bucks is the on line price im not sure what they run but i want to at least match what ive got now which are Z rated. I like more of a track tire that has a good amount of grip.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
yes i mean road course. I just finished reading up on what the treadwear rating system is. Firestone says the Primewell tires im looking at are a 480/280 im not completely sure why there are two numders since every other tire only has one number, but 480 is really good and 280 isnt bad. if it is 280 thats not bad since my zri's are 320.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
yes i mean road course. I just finished reading up on what the treadwear rating system is. Firestone says the Primewell tires im looking at are a 480/280 im not completely sure why there are two numders since every other tire only has one number, but 480 is really good and 280 isnt bad. if it is 280 thats not bad since my zri's are 320.
Not really. Treadwear rating isn't cut'n'dry good/bad like that.

High treadwear means hard rubber compounds. Harder compounds last longer, but don't grip. The higher the number, the lower the amount of traction (*in general*).

My Toyo RA-1s have a treadwear of 100 (least amount you can have and be street legal), and they grip like MAD. Super-soft rubber gives tons of traction, it just wears very quickly.

I would shoot for something in the 200-300 range if you need the tire to last, 150-200 for a decent gripping street tire.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Forgot a tire suggestion: I like Kumho ECSTAs for cheap tires. ASX if you need an allseason, MX or XS for a summer tire.

I have heard from one person that the Kumhos aren't popular with the road course crowd though, as they don't handle that kind of heat well. Great autocross tire, though (The ECSTA XS won GRM's last tire comparo).

·
Registered
812 Posts
Sounds like the tire wasn't balanced after it was plugged.

I've never heard of Primewell tires, though that doesn't mean they don't make a decent tire, just that they're off-brand. I will say that with tires you get what you pay for - a $60 "ultra high performance" tire isn't going to grip for crap, is going to wear quick, or both.

For a tire suggestion, I would need to know how you intend to use the car, whether you need a DD tire, a handling tire, or a drag race tire, and if you need it to drive in the rain/snow or not.
+1 on the tire being out of balanced, most times 60 is when you feel it, happens alot in MN in the winter when snow gets stuck in the rims, the car will shake at 60+ really bad but in the lower MPH you wont really notice it, I would get the tire rebalanced

1 - 8 of 8 Posts