Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just finished my first mod set for my 02 GT: MAC cai, BBK 75mm t/b, C&L plenum. over the next year I want to upgrade exhaust: MAC ceramic l/t headers, MAC procamber, SLP powerflo catback. I also want to install 4.10s, an MGW shifter, and an aluminum driveshaft. My question is: what should I do about tuning?!

I know i'll need it after the new gear install, but i've also heard it's advised to get it after an l/t install. should i go ahead and do exhaust (including l/t), then after a few months put in gears and get one tune to cover it all? should i do the gears first then tune later after the exhaust? does it matter? i've seen a lot of conflicting opinions regarding this...

thanks for any help!

·
Noob Slayer
2,447 Posts
just get a tuner like sct, sniper, etc..... im pretty sure with sniper u plug your "tune" into your computer at home and it allows u to adjust the tune on that certain card or what ever they call it or u can download your premade tunes (sniper gives u two "tunes" you can have one for the track and one for the street). also it will give u noticeable power so might as well go out and buy a tuner now.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
where can you buy a sniper tuner

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yah, i was considering the SCT.

so i don't really need to take it somewhere to get tuned? a hand held one that i ca use myself will do the trick? doesn't the speedometer get thrown off with new gears?

·
Resident Bubblehead
6,190 Posts
yah, i was considering the SCT.

so i don't really need to take it somewhere to get tuned? a hand held one that i ca use myself will do the trick? doesn't the speedometer get thrown off with new gears?
you can adjust the gear ratio and tire sizes and simple stuff like that on your own, but i wouldn't go screwing around with stuff like fuel tables and spark timing unless you really know what you're doing. and yes, the speedo will be off with the gears. the tuner will allow you to adjust that. the nice thing about the tuner is that you can take it to a dyno shop and have them tune the car and write you a tune on your tuner. since they do know what they're doing, they'll be able to get the most out of the mods you have done to your car...

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
hmusn can hook you up with sct stuff... if you are wanting a dyno tune you can just wait.. but if you just gonna get a hand held tuner go ahead... sct livewire ftmfw

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok awesome. i guess i'll go ahead and plan to do exhaust stuff first (since a tune isn't really required) then save up for th gears and tuner later (since it seems a tune is pretty much required after that). sound good?

other than that all i have left is suspension and sound system! :-D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow, yah...just checked out your site. i'll deff be buying one when the time comes (probable not until the end of this year or beginning of next).

so that will take care of the speedo prob with the gears as well as recalibrating things with the air intake/tb/plenum and headers/midpipe/catback? plus re-usability, diff tunes for performance and highway, etc... sounds good :)

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
yea.. all that can get taken care of man.

you can also visit the vendor here " Trick Tuners"
if you buy a tuner from Trick Tuners is comes with 2 years of free retunes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yah, saw that...big plus. i could prob use one already since i just finished all that intake stuff. maybe i'll be able to swing it this summer...i'll deff be hitting that up when the time comes!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks man, i need to update my garage and profile info as soon as i get my laptop back! just washed, waxed, and detailed my 02 GT (besides the intake) so she's good enough to show off a little. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts