Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok im completely new to mustangs. Or even fords. I have done some work on chevrolet's and my dad is a gm mechanic and bulds small block chevy race cars. I recently purchased a 2000 mustang gt 5 speed that was missing terribly bad. The guy missed a shift and went to first instead of third and overrevved the engine bad. I pulled the plug and ran a bore scope in there to find a huge hole in the #3 piston. So out comes the engine. This is where i need help. Ive done some searching and cannot fond a write up on engine removal and what makes it easiest. As of right now i have the oil drained, coolant system drained, radiator hoses off, wiring harness unhooked, ground wires unkooked, drive belt off, and some other odds and ends disconnected. I have not done anything to the power steering or ac compressor yet. And do i need to pull the tranny with the motor? Im going to go with a used motor back in the car because ive found its cheaper than me rebuilding it myself. I have found 2 low mileage engines for $1500 with less than 30k. Any information or helpful tips anyone has is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot:)

Dustin

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
find a used 4v out of a cobra or mach, and usually people pull them both at the same time. IF you plan on doing long tubes nows the time to do it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
the car has bbk ceramic longtubes and bbk h pipe. All the exhaust looks brand new. Thats one thing i dont have to worry about. lol What would i need besides a 4v motor to put one in? I have thought about the 03-04 cobra 4v motor because it has forged internals correct? Would i need a differnt computer and harness? i was just going to go with another 2v and put a small turbo on it. My dad has a few turbos and everything i would need to make my own kit. I have a tig welder and tubing bender also. Just looking to have a fun street car. Looking for around 350-400 rwhp

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
yes youd need the harness, and that motors expensivvvvve

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
how i do it:

put rear end on ramps or stands
take off hood

remove:
negative battery cable
intake system from filter to t/b
plenum & t/b
fuel rails
coils
serpintine belt
wiring harness
trans shifter (if manual)

raise car
drain coolant
pull drive shaft
pull wheels, sway bar, brake calipers, struts, springs, abs sensor
pull p/s lines from rack and pinion and drain
unbolt ground straps from motor mounts
unbolt torque converter bolts (if auto)
unhook trans cables (if auto)

remove:
intake manifold
coolant tank
p/s pump resivor
pump off motor (strap up out of the way
ac compressor off motor (strap up out of the way)
trans wiring harnes
mid pipe (if running long tubes)
clutch cable (if manual)
steering shaft

strap picker to motor
raise up and get tension on chains (leave motor mounts secured to k-member)
put a jack under trans
unbolt k-member
unbolt trans mount
lower together as far down as possible (dont get car too high in air)
take off headers (if running long tubes)
unbolt motor mounts from k-member
unbolt mid pipe (if running stock manifolds or shorties)
unbolt trans from motor
raise strait up and you will have your motor out

this covers most of it. sorry if i miss a step here or there, kind of :booze

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info. Does anyone know where i could pick up a used 2v at a good price? Im not wanting to spend $3000 on a motor or better for a 4v really. i would rather put a good used 2v in and a small turbo. That should make a good combo. I really want to just get a motor in it and drive it before the turbo ever comes along.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
if you want to throw a little boost on it, why not do a decent build so you dont have to worry about it later down the road?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kinda on a tight budget. i really just want to get this thing running so i can have a little fun with it. What engines will work in this car? Any 4.6 ford engine or deos it have to be from a mustang? I have found a few 5.4 truck engines and some lincoln continental dohc engines. What route should i go as far as buying a used motor to put in here?. I dont want to shell out the cash for a cobra engine. Wanting to spend around $1500 or less. THanks

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
if you on a budget, stay 4.6 for sure. any 4.6 will fit, 5.4 will to but requires some modifications. you can do a mild build for that price if you know how to do the assembly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i have found some used 4.6 crown vic engines for cheap. Would that fit? i can pick one with under 50k for $500. would there be anything else that i would need to buy to make it fit? I have my blown engine now and the heads are good on it so i would probably adde them to the crown vic engine if there better. as far as intake wiring and bolting to my 5 speed would all that work out?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
06 crown vic police car. 26k on the engine. The car was wrecked. will this engine have the same power as my stock 2000 engine?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Yea should be I would think...but man... Awhile back a guy bought a crate 5.4 from ford for 1,400

1 - 16 of 16 Posts