Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Atlanta drag way again yesterday. Not quite as big as the southern nationals.

There was a class they were running that me and my dad found a bit odd...

The cars look like top fuel dragsters. Pretty sure they run on just gas/race fuel. They were big blocks and ran high 6s low 7s.

The interesting bit is that off the line they would bog down and only go like 20 mph until about 1/8th of the track then they would EXPLODE with power.

My guess is that they are just geared like that to prevent wheel spin.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Sounds like they were using electronic throttle stops. A buddy of mine runs super gas and they pretty much all do that. They leave then the throttle stop kicks in to slow them down just enough to keep them from breaking out of the index.

Electronic throttle stops are pretty common in super comp, super gas and super street.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ohh I see.

Yea I'm pretty sure it was super comp class. The super gas did that as well but it wasn't as pronounced as the super comp cars.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Sounds like they were using electronic throttle stops. A buddy of mine runs super gas and they pretty much all do that. They leave then the throttle stop kicks in to slow them down just enough to keep them from breaking out of the index.

Electronic throttle stops are pretty common in super comp, super gas and super street.
+1. Definitely throttle stops. I like bracket racing but throttle stop racing has to be some of the most boring racing to watch. It does make for close races at the top end though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts