Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just finished re-threading one of my cylinder heads for a 2001 mustang gt, and i was wondering if some of the aluminum shreds that fall can seriously hurt it, because i cleaned it as much as possible but i know there still some pieces there. :(

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Its definitely not a good thing to have metal shavings in the cylinder. If you vacuumed out the best you could, what else can you do? What do you want to hear? Unless you are looking to take the head off there's nothing else you can do.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
You can get some of those long wood handle Qtips like they have at a doctors office, put some grease on it and put it down in the cylinder and see if you come up with any metal shavings.

·
Registered
997 Posts
you could possibly use a little magnet like those used to grab nuts and bolts that have fell in to tight places. but i have never had this problem before so someone feel free to corect me if im wrong.

edit:

sorry magnets dont stick to aluminum.
forgot about that. so scratch what i said.

use a vacuum other then that only thing you can do is take off the head.

·
Registered
929 Posts
My brother has had 3 spark plug holes re-threaded on the 5.4 in his truck, while on the motor. We coated the bits in grease first so that the shavings would stick to it and not fall into the motor. We also made sure it was on a compression stroke so we didn't nip one of the valves during the process. I'm sure there still had to be some very small material that got into the cylinder, but never had any problems. Large shavings may create an issue.

Grease on the end of a long Q-tip is a good idea.

·
Jackpot, fishypoopypants!
1,986 Posts
Aluminum chips--especially from a re-threading--are usually pretty thin and light, aren't they? Wouldn't they just blow out on the exhaust stroke?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Aluminum chips--especially from a re-threading--are usually pretty thin and light, aren't they? Wouldn't they just blow out on the exhaust stroke?
Should..

OP: Take a shopvac and rig up a couple straws to the hose with duct tape, and vacuum the stuff out. I had a blow out at 110k and its still truckin even after the sc at 143k

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
just take a blow gun and blow the cylinder out for about a minute straight.....lol..redneck way is to fire it up with no plug and blast the shreds out the top.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
i had to drive mine 30 miles home after my plug blew out one time...man that was noisy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you for all the help!! i ended up using a little straw taped to a vacuum and stuck it right in there; but i fixed it.[x

1 - 11 of 11 Posts