Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...i bought an 89 fox body mustang that was originally a 5.0..guy i bought it from took out the 5.0 and put in a 351 windsor that was bored .060 over with a mild cam, edelbrock intake and edelbrock 600 carb...the guy left the stock t5 tranny in it...ran fine when i bought it. parked it in the driveway and would go and start it up every other day, so it would start and do so just fine...got it tagged and legal and found out the accelerator pump was bad on the carb. so i replaced it and put it back on the car...started running like plain crap and idling very very rough...found out the edelbrock was junk...so i replaced it wit a 600 holley that i put a total rebuild on....also replaced the starter and battery.

Since ive replaced the all these parts, i cant get it to start up now...when i press the clutch in and turn the key to crank it, motor will crank but not fire...and it sounds like i have a dead battery cuz the more i set there and try to crank it the more it seems like its draining the battery till it wont crank at all...dont know really what could cause this cuz im pretty new to fords....by the way, the guy i bought it from did a piss poor job of converting EFI to carberated... left the original harness in there and it wasnt connected to anything except 3 wires for my altenator...i know this may sound kinda choppy but its as accurate as i can get it by typing:sorry

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated...i need this car 2 get back and forth to work and have missed almost a week now trying to mess with it:mad:...
By the way, the guy said the motor came out of a 89 grand marquis if that helps any...thanks all that answer

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
You need to check your timing, also how the new carb is tuned and also test your spark to the plugs and coil. It sound like you're no getting spark or your timing is way off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the advice guys...i will definitely check those things out and repost what ive found..:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alrite guys i found out my points was shot and my timing is was really outta wack....fixin to time it if this weather ever clears up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts