Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How much ground clearance (less than exhaust/mufflers) with sub frame connectors installed and what issues if any come up by using them? Do the seat support brackets that come with some of the connectors make a significant difference? Also do the connectors really make much of a difference on a hard top.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
No clearance issues here but I'm not super low. Can't speak to how significant the seat brackets are but I would recommend them. If Maximum Motorsports deisgns their subframe connectors with them and every other company copies them, than I was assume they are important enough for MM to engineer them that way.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
I have long tubes and the long tubes and mid pipe sit lower then the flsfc do. I have the MM ones.

The seat brackets bolt in where the seats go and then welded to the connectors.

On a coupe yes it will. The frame is the same on all of these cars. It just does more so on a vert because the lack of a roof for rigity.

I'd highly recommend MMs brand. Fit like a glove and it's built from quality materials.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
My exhaust hangs lower than my subframe connectors.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
As the others said, your exhaust will hang down 1-2" lower than the subframe connectors, depending on what brand and parts you're using.

The difference is night and day, even for coupes. I've got an 88 without FLSFCs and a 00 with them, both coupes, very similar chassis. If you jack up near the front wheel on the 88, you can't shut the driver door it twists so much. If I jack up the same spot on the 00, that whole side of the car comes up. Massive difference.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
As the others said, your exhaust will hang down 1-2" lower than the subframe connectors, depending on what brand and parts you're using.

The difference is night and day, even for coupes. I've got an 88 without FLSFCs and a 00 with them, both coupes, very similar chassis. If you jack up near the front wheel on the 88, you can't shut the driver door it twists so much. If I jack up the same spot on the 00, that whole side of the car comes up. Massive difference.
Now that you mention it I had the same thing too on my car. There is also a noticeable gap between the doors and the front fender prior to the full-length subframe connectors when jacked up in the front. Crazy

·
Registered
979 Posts
My 03 has never had clearance issues with the subframe connectors. I drove it regularly with the UPR coil springs front and rear (1.5" drop), and the rest of the UPR suspension and only ever hit/scraped the exhaust when roads/driveways were wonky.

The car is now on coilovers in the front and it does not look like anything but exhaust will scrape again, as the exhaust hangs lower than subframe connectors.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Like everyone else has said: they are completely worth it without a shadow of a doubt. I completely overhauled my suspension and did FLSFC towards the end of that overhaul. One thing I noticed was a lot more of the weight was put back onto the suspension. Instead of the body rolling and flexing it was all put into the springs and struts which felt strange. Almost felt like the car was more bouncy and more affected by bumps in the road. It isn't a bad thing and it didn't hurt the ride of the car at all. It was just something that changed the handling and ride so drastically it took sometime to get used to it. Again, this is nothing negative, and the car handles better than ever.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good info from all, thank you,

Thinking I will go with the BBK bolt on connectors, dont want to weld anything to car. They come with or without seat supports, so I just need to know if the seat supports make much more of a difference compared to connectors without them.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Good info from all, thank you,

Thinking I will go with the BBK bolt on connectors, dont want to weld anything to car. They come with or without seat supports, so I just need to know if the seat supports make much more of a difference compared to connectors without them.
Bolt on connectors will not be as effective as weld ons. I won't say they are worthless but definitley not as rigid as weld ons.

Get the seat brackets, especially if you do not plan on welding anything. Any added rigidity using bold on connectors will be a plus.

I will add...I do not recommend bolt on connectors.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bolt on connectors will not be as effective as weld ons. I won't say they are worthless but definitley not as rigid as weld ons.
Get the seat brackets, especially if you do not plan on welding anything. Any added rigidity using bold on connectors will be a plus.

Yes, I was thinking that the seat support would help with bolt on. Only reason I dont want weld on is I dont want to weld anything on to the car, want it as original as possible. Those seat supports look like they would add rigidity especially if they are welded on to the connectors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I put the MM ones on my 04 vert GT. The seat of the pants feel is much better, I suspect due to the seat brackets and the front end is tighter ans seems more predictable in the turns. You must ensure that the weight is on the wheels when you weld these on.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
my Kenny Brown matrix kit sticks down maybe 1/4" lower than the pinch welds.. if that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts