Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i have a 1998 V6 mustang ive had it for about 3 years and got it looking to almost the exact way i want so i need to start doing some work on the engine now..... i currently have the BBK air intake, BBK Short Throw, BBK ALuminum pulleys, a FlowMaster II catback system, i have all new plugs and wires, and am using royal purple oil......that so far are all my "performance uprgrades". But im wanting a little more power in the engine and i was thinking about getting the 56mm throttle body that u can get for it but i cant seem to find anything else like new cams or headers for the 98 V6 model.....if anyone has any info on where i could find these or any other suggestions about how i can increase the horsepower plz let me know...thanx.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
Split port swap & power adder after you do what H said.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
split port most def, adds a good amount of performance. I plan on doing that once i get a good amount of money. After than then i will start doing more engine mods

·
Registered
315 Posts
Welcome to MM, me and you are basically just alike in mods with some slight differences in brand name. I have the Force II catback also. And I am just about done with the outside of my car also. I am thinking of doing gears next. I dont know exactly what you are looking for but the cheapest rout for me is getting a 8.8" out of a 96-98 GT and putting it in after a rebuild kit. I personally want 3.27 which can be found in some 96-98 GT's, it was an option in that year. So all you have to do is do a rebuild on it. But after gears I would def do a tuner.

By the way how do you like the Force II catback sound wise, Im thinking of keeping the catback but cutting the y off and swap for a H-pipe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanx guys for the advice keep em coming i want to get as much horsepower as i can get outa my baby lol.....as far as the split porting goes does anyone have any idea how much something like that would cost to get done? And yah for 98mustang i love my exhaust makes it sound JUST like a GT but i also was thinking of doing exactly what u said with the H pipe lol but i also wanted to throw in some long tube headers but i cant find any headers at all for the 98 V6 model all the adds sayd 94-97 so i dont know why the 98 is excluded? anyone ever seen headers for the 98 V6 let me know :D

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
split port swap

Gears

Tuner... all three will make you happy :D

go to CRT performance if you want a s-p-s
gears ... give me a minute and i can get you the cheapest prices known to the public :D
tuner... what ever your local vendor uses... most of the time sct

·
Registered
315 Posts
There is a problem with the K-member on our cars, I've heard with some modification they can fit(longtubes that is, they make shorties). However, unless you plan on going forced induction, which you might, our headers on our cars are great. Just heavy. Unlike the 99-04 V6's we have "headers" not manifolds. Meaning they are tubular.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
Hey thanx guys for the advice keep em coming i want to get as much horsepower as i can get outa my baby lol.....as far as the split porting goes does anyone have any idea how much something like that would cost to get done? And yah for 98mustang i love my exhaust makes it sound JUST like a GT but i also was thinking of doing exactly what u said with the H pipe lol but i also wanted to throw in some long tube headers but i cant find any headers at all for the 98 V6 model all the adds sayd 94-97 so i dont know why the 98 is excluded? anyone ever seen headers for the 98 V6 let me know :D
No it doesn't, maybe kinda close:)

·
Registered
315 Posts
He is right, not a GT but a nice low rumble no riceyness at all, but that whole lack of two cylinders and an even firing order kinda keep it from having a GT sound.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL well yah the lack of engine sound doesnt make it EXACTLY i guess but u guys get the idea lol sounds pretty damn close outa the exhaust....and about finding those cheap prices thanx a million man looking forward to hearing from u

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
As far as a tuner is concerned check out Trick Tuners, SCT Flash Tuners, SCT Flash Custom Tuning, PLX Devices widebands and gauges, SCT Flash tuners, SCT Xcal2, sct livewire, sct xcalibrator or click the link in my sig. Joe, the guy that runs the place is really great. He'll be able to answer any questions that you might have. I would suggest either an SCT XCAL 2, XCAL 3, or Livewire. All three are GREAT tuners. Joe will be able to write you a custom tune just for your car. Other than that...+1 on getting gears. I'm looking to get 4.10 gears myself. You'll want to get the tuner at the same time or before you get the gears. If you don't have a tuner the gears will cause problems. However, you can fix these problems with a good tune. If you go through Joe he will give you free retunes for 2 years. That will give you plenty of time to get the gears if you can't afford to do both gears and the tuner at once.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ya well im pretty sure everyone that owns a V6 wish's that had a V8 but when your a 19 year old student with points maxed out on ur license a V8 isnt the most cost viable insurance wise lol....but i dont hate my V6 at all I love the thing to death just means i gotta make all these mods to get the horsepower up to a V8.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey guys again thanx for all the advice i just got my tax return back today and got alot more then i was expecting lol so i was thinking of either buying gears or a 56 mm throttle body.....i wanna know what u guys think would be the most beneficial to buy first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yah gears sounds good i was looking into it and there are two different sizes for the V6 i can get 3.73 or 4.10. im not quite sure what the difference is if anyone can explain it would be greatly appreciated!:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts