Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I am about ready to pull the 3.8l. Most connections to the car are pulled and the tranny is out. the intake, exhaust manifolds and all the wiring and sensors etc. that sit on the engine are still on.

How have you guys lifted yours? I have a chain hoist right above the engine ready to lift. should i ilft it by the intake? by the exhaust manifolds? Or should I pull the intake off and lift by the heads? What do you think?

Advise and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:confused:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Ok, so I am about ready to pull the 3.8l. Most connections to the car are pulled and the tranny is out. the intake, exhaust manifolds and all the wiring and sensors etc. that sit on the engine are still on.

How have you guys lifted yours? I have a chain hoist right above the engine ready to lift. should i ilft it by the intake? by the exhaust manifolds? Or should I pull the intake off and lift by the heads? What do you think?

Advise and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:confused:
I just removed mine by a slight modification of the recommended procedure.
Use two exhaust manifold studs. The one furthest to the front on the right side and the one furthest to the back on the left side. There should be longer studs in those locations and you can put a chain, washer, and nut on each one. The manual recommends using a lifting eye that distributes the weight over two studs on each side, but I had no trouble using only one.

With the trans out it should come straight up.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
ok deffinitly use a bell housing hole stick a bolt through there instead
i wouldnt trust my engine on such a small stud like the exhaust manifold
then somethinglike your alternator/powersterring bracket use a bolt from there

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey, thanks guys. I apreciate it. I'm going to pull it tonight. I may have to run down to the harware store. Anyhow, thanks again. This is why I line modded mustangs forums: Great people that are willing to help.

Don't hate me, I am considdering swapping in a carbed 5.0l. In my garage I have a set of gt-40p heads, rpm intake, holley street avenger 670cfm carb, e-303 cam, roller rockers, msd 6al, mac headers and a variety of other stuff from another abandond project I had. But I have all the parts for the six except the cam, so we'll see.

Thanks again.:):D

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I am considdering swapping in a carbed 5.0l. In my garage I have a set of gt-40p heads, rpm intake, holley street avenger 670cfm carb, e-303 cam, roller rockers, msd 6al, mac headers and a variety of other stuff from another abandond project I had. But I have all the parts for the six except the cam, so we'll see.

Thanks again.:):D
Sounds like quite the project have fun :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the encouragment. So I pulled the engine. Well I lifted it, then set it back in until tomorrow whe I have time to move the car back and place it on the stand. My chain hoist is attached to the cieling in the garage. It doesn't move so I have to move the car. Not quite as handy as an engine hoist, but it saves a ton of room and only cast me 50-60 bucks.

Here is a pic of it.
:hug

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dang, pic's too big.:mad:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:eek:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Thanks for the encouragment. So I pulled the engine. Well I lifted it, then set it back in until tomorrow whe I have time to move the car back and place it on the stand. My chain hoist is attached to the cieling in the garage. It doesn't move so I have to move the car. Not quite as handy as an engine hoist, but it saves a ton of room and only cast me 50-60 bucks.

Here is a pic of it.
:hug
I also use a chain hoist supported from the garage framing. I used a double 2x6 supported by lag bolts off two joists and further supported by vertical 2x4 studs at the ends. There was a lot of discussion about whether that was strong enough and I had a mechanical engineering student at work (I work at Stanford) do a calculation that showed it was adequate. So I also have to move the car around. This is easy enough for a rear wheel drive car, but more difficult for front wheel drive where the front suspension is apart and the car is on a floor jack in front.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
ok deffinitly use a bell housing hole stick a bolt through there instead
i wouldnt trust my engine on such a small stud like the exhaust manifold
then somethinglike your alternator/powersterring bracket use a bolt from there
Hi Chris,

The studs are actually 8 mm and the bolts you are suggesting are 10 mm. So yes your way is stronger. I think a better way would be to support it from 2 studs on each side. One way to do that would be to attach short lengths of chain to two studs on each side and attach the lifting chain to them, or use the Ford adaptors.

Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts