Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as of right now i'm not too happy with how my car sits. the front is actually ok, but in the back i have an annoying wheel gap. my springs are pretty decent right now, they seem soft to me, i can push down the rear of my car really easily lol and it squats pretty decent when i launch. i have koni springs btw, know nothing about them. so i have a few options and i need to know before tomorrow. i can cut a coil off the springs i have now in the rear only, or i could take the stock rear springs, cut idk how much off (thats another thing i need to know, 1 or 2 coils?) and deal with that. my other option is buy a set of H&R super sports, or eibach sportlines. idk which is better for what, i just know sportlines are a bit lower and super sports handle a bit better. so i have mainly 2 questions: cut springs, or buy new ones (which new ones)? and if i cut them, which pair should i cut, and how much?
here's my wheel gap.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
what kind of springs are on it now,how long have they been on it.if they haven't been on to long they need time to settle.if you decide to cut then cut half a coil at a time until you reach to look you are wanting.or you can haul a really fat person around in the back lol

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
if the springs are linear rate you can cut away and it wont change anything. i don't know about those springs though. my eibach's are the same way.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
define linear rate lol. they are koni springs. is linear rate when the space between the coils is all the same, like the stock ones? i THINK they're progressive... and 00redgt they've been on for more than a year lol.

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
If you go with coil overs, or LCAs with adjustable perches you can set your height to whateve you like. Just a couple other options you can consider.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks! i'm sure it does slightly but not like i'll notice it much. i'm thinking i should cut my stock springs down 1 coil maybe and see how it looks and handles... i want a good drag spring and the stock ones are good for that so maybe one coil off that would perform better than my springs now.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i cut my stock springs a coil and 1/8th which is what is reccommended. it rides exactly how it does factory just sits good plus you can cut them until the cars sits perfectly level all around ( car does not sit level factory or with aftermarket even though you cant tell) here is a pic of my car i think i might take off another 1/4 of a coil off the front when i put my new shocks/struts on. as of now i have no issues with ride quality otehr than my shocks and struts are worn out and i dont have any rubbing issues i love it. way better than stiff aftermarket springs

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That looks pretty good...about how much would i want to cut off to match how low the front is? and by cutting one coil off, i just got straight below where the end of the tighter end of the coil is right?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
damn thats one coil? that looks just like what i want thank you! how does it handle compared to stock?

also...what will launch better, aftermarket springs, or cut stock springs?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
If you don't want soft springs don't get the Eibach. Those are known for being a soft rate. Get H&R or Steeda. I wish I had went with H&R instead of Steeda mainly for the lower stance..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mustanginky, what color is your car??????? that has to be custom i've never seen that color before? thats shweet and trueblue02gt, are your wheels blackchrome? im diggin them if they are.

·
April 2012 ROTM
4,739 Posts
Mustanginky, what color is your car??????? that has to be custom i've never seen that color before? thats shweet and trueblue02gt, are your wheels blackchrome? im diggin them if they are.
Im pretty sure thats sonic blue....

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
define linear rate lol. they are koni springs. is linear rate when the space between the coils is all the same, like the stock ones? i THINK they're progressive... and 00redgt they've been on for more than a year lol.
Linear rate means the spring rate is the same throughout the compression of the spring. A progressive spring will get stiffer the more its compressed. Spring rate is measured in lbs per inch. for example for every 100lbs the spring compresses one inch. with a progressive spring the 1st two inches will be 100lbs per inch and the 2nd 2 iches will be 200lbs per inch, it get progressively stiffer

That looks pretty good...about how much would i want to cut off to match how low the front is? and by cutting one coil off, i just got straight below where the end of the tighter end of the coil is right?
If you cut the spring, cut a coil from the BOTTOM, THE THICK END. the top, or tighter end changes diameter and may not sit right if you cut it. You are correct that one coil is right where it ends just a level up, one coil makes a complete circle.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm a dumbass, it says black chrome fr500's derk a der, but that is not sonic blue, if anything its close to azure blue(mach1) blue

·
April 2012 ROTM
4,739 Posts
Hmmm...now you got me wonderin about that color now too...

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
its neither. its lighter and less metallic than sonic blue, i've seen it before just don't know what its called. atlantic blue? idk. and i cut one coil off the springs today, gonna put em on as soon as i have time and see how they are!

·
Registered
623 Posts
i think im going to cut my springs as well. seems like a good temporary drop.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts