Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I just bought my 92 gt and it has swirl marks and behind the side window the paint is cracking a little bit and also around the passenger side lock. With that said im looking into some products to get the swirl marks out and restore the finish the best i can. I have looked on autogeek and the stickies and im still stumped on what products would best suit my needs. I like the price of XMT and poorboys and was wondering if there is better stuff to use on this aged paint. These are the steps i am thinking of doing.

1. wash with dawn
2. clay bar
3. polish with orange PC/hand
4. wax with gray/white pad??

With those steps ive also read that you can put a sealer after you polish and I also didnt know when to apply a glaze and if its even worth my time right now to try it. Thanks.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yep check the stickies, im new to detailing but i do know dawn is a no-no, wash with a car wash and not dish soap, sorry thats all i can help though, I'm sure our detailers will be in here soon, btw nice ride!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have read stickies, everyone uses diff stuff for there specific needs. Also i heard that dawn will take off the old wax and then clay bar will take out the rest of the impurities.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Presoak with Zep Citrus at 4:1 use a spray bottle, pressurized sprayer, foam gun, or foam cannon let it sit for a few minutes then come back and rinse it off. Wash with regular soap of your choice just make sure its a quality one. Clay with Mothers clay kit it works good for normal claying. Then do an IPA wipe down prior to taping moldings and emblems. then you can start polishing. I suggest you use a yellow pad and something like M105 or Menzerna Powergloss for compounding. Then followed by 203S with a green pad. Make sure to do your IPA wipe downs and get a 1000 Watt halogen tripod for lighting. You will also need some quality microfibers. For you protection a good hybrid wax that you can get and looks great is Autoglym HD its on sale at pepboys if not you can get it at detailers domain it also on sale there. You can glaze before waxing but you will be ok skipping that step, I never found it necessary to glaze, if your correction work is done right.

the following can be purchase at Detailers Domain
Uber 5 pack 5.5" pads 2 yellows, 2 greens, 1 blue
M105 or Menzerna Powergloss your choice
Menzerna 203S
Autoglym HD if you cant find it at pepboys or walmart

Remember to use our discount code its MUSTANGS

Detailers Domain - Home

Microfibers check out these great price, good quality, and can be used for polish removal, wax removal, IPA wipedowns, quick detailing. wash in warm water with something like Tide free and gentle or Chemical guys microfiber detergent then dry on medium to low heat dont use any fabric softners or lint sheets.

microfiber, microfiber towels, car care products, auto detailing, house cleaning, micro-restore, micro restore, df towels, microfiber

Best Cleaner for Microfiber

Zep citrus can be bought at home depot for $10 a gallon

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
autoglym is 45 bucks! lol i though it was like 10-15 from what other ppl have been saying they paid for it.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
autoglym is 45 bucks! lol i though it was like 10-15 from what other ppl have been saying they paid for it.
Thats because thats what it is actually worth and why they are pulling the line from walmart. But go take a look for it at wamart or pepboys see if you get lucky man. If you can get it for even $20 to $30 it still a steal it really is worth the price believe me. Take a look at my thread:)

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/general-car-care-detailing/203410-finally-applied-autoglym-high-definition-wax.html

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i checked my local walmart,autozone and no pepboys around here has it. Guess im out of luck!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so i remembered that i still have this stuff i bought last year at a ford car show in sac california. Its called smartwax and I love the dressing they have a lot. Smells like coconut and leave it shiny and not oily. So far i still have the carnuba wax,sealer,polish,sealant and dressing. Only thing i dont have is a PC, but i might get one or use good hand pads. Maybe i will use this stuff and post a detail job and see if you all like how it does. Hmmmm. Maybe they can give me free stuff for somewhat sponsoring there crap haha

·
Registered
5,175 Posts

·
Registered
5,175 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah maybe i will spend the dough on a porter cable. Im buying a house right now so i was trying not to spend much money on something that isnt "needed" haha

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
yeah maybe i will spend the dough on a porter cable. Im buying a house right now so i was trying not to spend much money on something that isnt "needed" haha
You can buy it at home depot its the PC 7346 its exactly the same as the PC 7424XP it just comes with its own backing plate and some times its on sale.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
shouldnt of found that link, just made me realize how much i miss this car :(

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Man that looks great nice work on that detail man:)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks. I hope to do this car the same. detail the outside,inside and spray the fenders black like i did on that car to make it look newish again.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Let me know if you have anymore questions man, I am sure it will come out looking great.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
also if i was to get a polisher which one would be better....meguiars or PC? if also which kit would be the best buy to do what i want right now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts