Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a tune up because my car gets 10MPG...
So my mechanic told me to get the parts and he will perform the tune up,

So far he has suggested Spark plugs, Fuel filter, Air Filter..

He told me to do some research on which spark plugs to get,

and i personally have no idea since this is my first car,

I was wondering what else you guys would advice me to get done,

And what parts i should get ( Spark plugs) which type or anything like that,

Any help is appreciated, thanks! :)

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
Mileage?

Just FYI. Tune-ups are not real any more. They consist of points and plugs and timing checked.

But it could be a sensor issue also. But I would just go ahead and the the plugs, wires and filter right now. They are basic maint. stuff anyways. You can even do those yourself. It's REALLY simple. The wires might get you confused, but that's it.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Spark plugs, air filter, and fuel filter are all simple things that I bet you can do yourself. Don't pay someone to do them for you. I've got a write up for the plugs 94-04 V6 Mustang Spark Plugs | Mod Your Mustang and the wires are pretty self explanatory. You'll have the air intake off to do the spark plugs so the air filter change is easy as well. If you need a write up for the fuel filter, let me know and I'll type one up quick.

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
Autolite plugs are popular, some like copper some like platinum +2 and whatnot. Motorcraft brand spark plugs are OEM and you cant go wrong with them.

Tune up:
spark plugs - autolite platinum or motorcraft brand
spark plug wires - MSD plugs are awesome but for basic you can get duralast brand at local parts store
air filter - K&N or some generic brand is best and reusable. if you dont want to spend the money, get a fram air filter.
fuel filter - local parts store brand is fine, no special thing here
pcv valve- local parts store brand is fine, no special thing here

All is super easy and you can definitely do this yourself.

Edit** make sure your using the right tool for spark plugs and the fuel filter to make your job easier.

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
OEM only. Just get some motorcraft plugs and wires.

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
check your sensors, that's probably what was wrong with mine. Also, go about regular maintenance and try and do it yourself. Some bonding time is always good. :)

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
Never just go for things that happened on other people car. You just end up spending money...

·
Registered
83 Posts
yeah i suggest getting plugs, plug wires, air filter fuel filter pcv valve and alsot get some seafoam.... just look for a write up here there are plenty.... but yeah u can go all OEM if u like but if ur wanting to save a lil green back go with aftermarket ( if ur not runing mods ie: ur car is stock, u dont need anything special ) just ask ur local parts store like O'Reillys or Autozone <--i hate but either one will point u to the proper parts GL ^^

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, thanks everyone for the replies,
I am learning how to do a tune up from my dad but for now he said for my car make a mechanic do it, hes giving me a price of $20 not much.

and the car has $95k miles

And the two head spark plugs, should i get a certain brand such as Bosch or would any local brand do?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spark plugs, air filter, and fuel filter are all simple things that I bet you can do yourself. Don't pay someone to do them for you. I've got a write up for the plugs 94-04 V6 Mustang Spark Plugs | Mod Your Mustang and the wires are pretty self explanatory. You'll have the air intake off to do the spark plugs so the air filter change is easy as well. If you need a write up for the fuel filter, let me know and I'll type one up quick.
Thanks man, I am now reconsidering paying for a tune up lol.
Is the Fuel filter in the gas tank for mustangs or is it near the bay?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Thanks man, I am now reconsidering paying for a tune up lol.
Is the Fuel filter in the gas tank for mustangs or is it near the bay?
The fuel filter sits between the gas tank and the rear axle. It's basically held in place by a hose clamp and the fuel lines. Real easy to change. $8 part, $7 fuel line disconnect too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I can tell you the first time u do ur fuel filter wear something u dont rly care about.... u will take a bath in fuel more than likely... aswell i think there is a write up here to aswell about changing the fuel filter but for sure get some seafoam its like 5 bucks but if u have dirty injectors it will help alot... and again lol as always there is a write up somewhere here on how to seafoam ur car but it will help

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
I can tell you the first time u do ur fuel filter wear something u dont rly care about.... u will take a bath in fuel more than likely... aswell i think there is a write up here to aswell about changing the fuel filter but for sure get some seafoam its like 5 bucks but if u have dirty injectors it will help alot... and again lol as always there is a write up somewhere here on how to seafoam ur car but it will help
Seafoaming: Seafoaming Your Mustang | Mod Your Mustang

And here's how to change the fuel filter:

-Hit your inertia switch (inside trunk, behind carpeting on driver side)
-Run the car until it dies
-Jack the car up
-Pry the clips off that hold the fuel lines to the fuel filter
-Use your fuel line removal tool to pop the fuel lines off both sides of the fuel filter
-Wear safety glasses
--Be ready to roll fast, there's probably still fuel in the line
-Use a flat-head screwdriver to loosen the hose clamp around the fuel filter
-Slide the older fuel filter out
-Slide the new fuel filter in
-Tighten the hose clamp
-Reconnect the fuel lines (should "click" into place if I remember correctly)
-Reconnect the clamps holding the fuel lines to the fuel filter
-Put the car back on the ground
-Flip your inertia switch back
-Prime your fuel pump a few times (turn the car on without starting the engine)
-Check for leaks
-Start the car, make sure it's running well, double check for leaks

I've been too lazy to add that to my site :dunno

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
After it dies, take the gas cap off.

·
Registered
83 Posts
@Mr. Pony i'm guessing the gas cap is to release vacuum ??

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
With that kind of gas mileage and 95K on the car, I'd add a pair of front O2 sensors to the list of parts that need to be replaced. I'd clean the MAF, too. Those two things should make a pretty decent impact on your gas mileage.

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
Seafoaming: Seafoaming Your Mustang | Mod Your Mustang

And here's how to change the fuel filter:

-Hit your inertia switch (inside trunk, behind carpeting on driver side)
-Run the car until it dies
-Jack the car up
-Pry the clips off that hold the fuel lines to the fuel filter
-Use your fuel line removal tool to pop the fuel lines off both sides of the fuel filter
-Wear safety glasses
--Be ready to roll fast, there's probably still fuel in the line
-Use a flat-head screwdriver to loosen the hose clamp around the fuel filter
-Slide the older fuel filter out
-Slide the new fuel filter in
-Tighten the hose clamp
-Reconnect the fuel lines (should "click" into place if I remember correctly)
-Reconnect the clamps holding the fuel lines to the fuel filter
-Put the car back on the ground
-Flip your inertia switch back
-Prime your fuel pump a few times (turn the car on without starting the engine)
-Check for leaks
-Start the car, make sure it's running well, double check for leaks

I've been too lazy to add that to my site :dunno
and dont be smoking as you do this...or after....:shiftyeyes

After it dies, take the gas cap off.
I was not aware that this was a necessary step. Doesnt really help in any in my experience.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Wow, thanks everyone for the replies,
I am learning how to do a tune up from my dad but for now he said for my car make a mechanic do it, hes giving me a price of $20 not much.

and the car has $95k miles

And the two head spark plugs, should i get a certain brand such as Bosch or would any local brand do?

please do not get bosch plugs :confused:

Here is what i would get:

motorcraft or autolite plugs
motorcraft sprak plug wires
motorcraft fuel filter
motorcraft air filter

And IMO i would do it yourself and save your money. It really isnt that hard to do.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts