Modded Mustang Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've figured out for sure I need to replace the cam synchronizer, but I'd rather not do it right this minute. Can this wait a few weeks or am I flirting with disaster by letting it squeak away? What kind of trouble am I asking for by waiting, if any?

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
It could flake more metal off into your oiling system and eventually destroy your CMP sensor.

I'd do it as soon as you can. Its not hard to do just make sure that you get everything lined up perfectly.

Although if you are afraid of messing up your timing take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you're right, I'm gonna do this as soon as possible. Maybe this weekend or the next, but I'll plan to change oil and filter while I'm at it. This just started last weekend, so hopefully I'm catching it pretty quick. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
what makes you think your cam syncro is bad?
It started squeaking right at the water pump area.
Pulled the belt, started the engine and it kept squealing. So that eliminated all the pulleys and their accessories, water pump included. Then put my finger on top of the synchro (engine still running no belt). When it squeaks off and on intermittently, you can feel the distinct vibration right on top of the synchro. Given the frequency I'm seeing others having the same problem, some only finding it after replacing a bunch of other stuff, I'm gonna give this my attention first. If I'm wrong I'm only out $60 or so.
Do you have another suggestion before I spend time and money on it? I'm a VW airhead, not a Ford tech, so any ideas welcome

·
Registered
57 Posts
If your talking about the camshaft position sensor there ontop of the water pump.....i got mine fixed about 2 months ago due to it squeaking...my guy at the dealer said it wasnt the actual sensor on top(the black part) it was the entire sensor drive assembly...its like 1 foot long with the gear on it and everything and it costed me like $125 new direct from ford. he said if anyone ever needs them replaced get it direct from ford, not autozone or anything. And you need the special tool to align it properly after its set at TDC.(top dead center). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
If your talking about the camshaft position sensor there ontop of the water pump.....i got mine fixed about 2 months ago due to it squeaking...my guy at the dealer said it wasnt the actual sensor on top(the black part) it was the entire sensor drive assembly...its like 1 foot long with the gear on it and everything and it costed me like $125 new direct from ford. he said if anyone ever needs them replaced get it direct from ford, not autozone or anything. And you need the special tool to align it properly after its set at TDC.(top dead center). Hope this helps.
From the parts searching online, like Napa, the sensor drive assembly is the camshaft synchronizer aka crank angle sensor aka etc etc. The sensor itself just sits on top, no moving parts. But I've seen threads where this thing seems to have multiple names. Whatever it is, I think we're talking the same thing.

Thanks!

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

idk where people are getting this idea that the cam syncro, or any acc. on the camshaft snout is going to cause a squeaking. All those parts are fully covered in oil while the car motor is spining. The chance of any of those parts making a "squeaking noise" is damn near impossible. thats like a spun bearing making a squeaking noise. those parts are more likely to chatter, and even then there would have to be an excessive amount of wear for that to even happen. I'm talking about miles and miles on the car. and even then the car would have to be run at that certain part of the motor with no oil to cause the scoring that would make it chatter NOT SQUEAK. And IF that were the case you'd spin a rod bearing before that would even happen. actually a few rod bearing and your motor would be knocking and toasted.

if your talking about the actual senosr...that too i highly doubt...although that doesnt get oil, i highly doubt it'd squeak

·
Registered
57 Posts
if it sounds like a belt squeaking but does it when the belt is still off then its definetly that camshaft sensor drive assembly. the guy at the ford dealer i know i talked to about this for this forum and he said he would put $500 on it that, that is what it is. thats the only other part that will cause it to squeak.

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
Your friend at the dealer is right. I had this issue with my car and when I replaced it the squeak went away. It started out intermittently and then became continuous.

As for being fully covered in oil, it's not. Only the lower portion where the drive extension meets the oil pump. About half way up the syncro the oil stops. You'll see this when you remove it. The shaft on the inside wears and eventually causes a really bad squeak.

The 3.8 and the 4.2 have this problem. If let go it can destroy the CMP sensor.

Here's an image so you can picture it a little better.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Get the alignment tool...

Auto Zone sold me the cam position sensor alignment tool for less than $15 when I was messing with mine during an engine swap. Make sure you get the motor as close to TDC as possible... You don't really need to go to the stealer for this job... Save some $!

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
lol ok guys. believe the guy that gets paid per job he does and is willing to do a 2min job and get paid for 30minutes or more for it.
the same guy who stays late as hell waiting for jobs because the economy sucks and he only gets warranty work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Auto Zone sold me the cam position sensor alignment tool for less than $15 when I was messing with mine during an engine swap. Make sure you get the motor as close to TDC as possible... You don't really need to go to the stealer for this job... Save some $!
That's cool. Looks like lots of shops bundle the tool with the parts as well.
When I can get around to doing this, I'll take some pics of the old part vs. new. Supposedly from some other threads I've read, you'll be able to see the scoring where the part is shearing away, causing all the noise.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

·
Registered
560 Posts
How did this replacement work out for you? I gotta change mine out tomorrow and have never done it so im a lil sketchy about it. any suggestions?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.